Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 9

Post by Solomoriah »

It didn't take long for the shadows to cover the approach to the U-boat. Simon quietly stood up, waited for the man atop the conning tower to turn away, and then sprinted for the gangplank; he went more carefully up it, concerned that his shoes might be noisy on the metal surface, and then flattened himself against the tower. He could just make out the hatch in the aft deck. He waved for Tommy, though he wondered if Tommy could even see him in the darkness.

Tommy thought he saw a wave from Simon. The guard was still looking away, so without further consideration he followed the engineer, sprinting across the sandy riverbank toward the gangplank, then walking more slowly up it, to join Simon. He was sure he had been very quiet, but he couldn't help but feel he was being watched... For a moment Tommy expected a bullet or a spear to come out of the darkness, but nothing happened. Had he imagined it?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

OCC: There is only one person on top of the U-boat as far as Tommy can see?

Being in the war has made Tommy a little paranoid. He will look around as best he can, very quickly of course, to see if anyone truly is watching him. If he sees nothing he will continue as planed, but if he sees anything that might give them away he will act accordingly.

If there is only one person atop the u-boat, Tommy will motion to Simon with a thumb across the throat and then pointing to the guard what he intends to do. He will then take out his hunting knife and attempt to wait for the guard to pass them without seeing them. He will then quickly but quietly sneak up behind the guard and quickly grab the guy's head, pulling back just enough to slide the blade up to his neck and slice across his throat, hopefully doing so before the guard can make any noise and thus killing him quickly.

If there is more then one person, he will assess the situation differently.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon will watch Tommy's back as he does this. Watching for motion, light sound elsewhere on the sub or any part of the village.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You need to rethink this. The guard you've been avoiding is on top of the conning tower, about 10' above the deck. You are both at the base of the conning tower.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

OOC ... I figured that was coming. I h ... ou forgot.

Simon will attempt to climb the ladder or some other structure on the river side of the conning tower to get to a position to view the upper deck of the conning tower. If the watch is alone and the opportunity is there, he will attempt to garotte the watchmen. If there is an ambush waiting for him, he will shout an alarm and leap into the river.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

OCC: sorry been a long day and I missed the conning tower to deck thing, lol. Let Simon do as he suggests.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A ladder of sorts was set into the port side of the trailing edge of the conning tower; Simon could see that the ladder came up underneath the overhanging aft railing. He climbed it as quietly as he could; the Nazi on guard seemed to be watching something in the river, or across it, and was thus facing starboard away from Simon. Grimly Simon came to his feet and readied his garotte...

... and it caught, somehow, on a button of his shirt. He worked furiously yet quietly to free it, sure that the German would turn around and catch him in the act, but amazingly the sailor never budged. Finally Simon got the garotte free, and the deed was done.

Tommy heard the muffled sounds of a struggle from above, and was about to turn and look up, when he heard what had to be a footstep in the rushes on the riverbank...
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:Tommy heard the muffled sounds of a struggle from above, and was about to turn and look up, when he heard what had to be a footstep in the rushes on the riverbank...
OCC: Witch way would this be? The side in front of Tommy where he is exposed, or on the other side? Just want to make sure before I post. Also, can Tommy see from where he is at if there is any method for the Germans to come from below straight onto the deck?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tommy is on the port side, which is actually facing toward the village (it's where they lower the gangplank from).

Incidentally, as RR has noticed, I accidentally posted the turn on DF. I knew I had done it...
Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon quietly lowers the guard to the deck deep in the shadows (or under a tarp, behind a locker, or whatever I can find to hide the body, if that's possible.) and strips him of his jacket and headgear. He then will look for any open hatches leading below and listen for sounds that might indicate anyone heard the scuffle. Once he is secure in his position he will put on the headgear and jacket then stand up and pretend to look like the guard. He'll look over teh side of the conning tower to see what the hell is keeping Tommy.