Powder & Shot: Black powder weapons for Basic Fantasy

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Powder & Shot: Black powder weapons for Basic Fantasy

Post by Dimirag »

LordHawk wrote:black powder weapons have no place in AD&D or basic fantasy.
I don't really care for AD&D nor its previous or later editions, BFRPG stands as its own and have the great luxury to be able to be modified by the GMs to fit they world and campaign needs, and even D&D have that.

Let the GM add what they want to add, BFRPG is not set on a specific time period nor world setting beyond the little things given by the rules.

There is plenty of room for anything a GM whats to add.
Solomoriah wrote:Really? So you're saying that my Glain campaign shouldn't have blunderbuss-armed dwarves?
How about dwarven dynamiters? (with TNT shafted throwing axes)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
jackel

Post by jackel »

I am looking this over and I like it.
LordHawk wrote:black powder weapons have no place in AD&D or basic fantasy.
LordHawk for your game then yes, for others, then no. To each their own, really. That is why I like BF, you start with the core rules and every DM/GM can add what supplements they want to.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

It would be nice to see this fleshed out more and edited (for instance, changing the several instances of the use of the word "then" when it should actually be "than"). The Mountain Man is really deserving of his own class (or Quasi-Class at the very least, provided you use that supplement). Seems like there is already a trapper class, but I could be wrong.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll look it over and post an r3; already corrected a number of items.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r3 uploaded
Longman

Post by Longman »

This is good. Certainly a lot of work gone in.

And I think it gets the balance right between "death ray" and "why would you bother?"

Firearms were around in medieval Europe for along time before their use became really commonplace. In my campaign they exist, but are not that common yet, and generally only city slickers and some dwarves mess around with them.
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

Hope a necro post reply isn't distasteful, I just wanted to give my two cents on the supplement. I think it's honestly one of the best if not the most well written and at-a-glance balanced supplements I've yet scene.

One thing that confuses me though, are Grenade Pistols suppose to represent historic Hand Mortars like this one?

Or are they something new and fantastical just for the sake this is a fantasy world?

If I could add to the supplement, I'd add the Hand Mortar proper, allowing one to lob a normally thrown grenade a sizeable distance, but with added risk from misfires, as if it does fire when it's suppose to it's will explode in the gun, destroying it and forcing the wielder to take damage from both the grenade itself and the gun's powder exploding.

Perhaps allow a Dex roll in case of a misfire to try and shake it out of the gun and toss it away before it goes off, and the normal Dex save for half damage if it does go off in the gun.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

There is no such thing as necromancy in the Workshop.

Except for the Necromancer supplement... :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

JakeCWolf wrote:Hope a necro post reply isn't distasteful, I just wanted to give my two cents on the supplement. I think it's honestly one of the best if not the most well written and at-a-glance balanced supplements I've yet scene.

One thing that confuses me though, are Grenade Pistols suppose to represent historic Hand Mortars like this one?

Or are they something new and fantastical just for the sake this is a fantasy world?

If I could add to the supplement, I'd add the Hand Mortar proper, allowing one to lob a normally thrown grenade a sizeable distance, but with added risk from misfires, as if it does fire when it's suppose to it's will explode in the gun, destroying it and forcing the wielder to take damage from both the grenade itself and the gun's powder exploding.

Perhaps allow a Dex roll in case of a misfire to try and shake it out of the gun and toss it away before it goes off, and the normal Dex save for half damage if it does go off in the gun.
A bit of a bump because despite two months I haven't gotten an answer yet, I guess maybe the Supplement's author just hasn't been around lately.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It appears he has not, in fact.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org