CS1 Castle by the Sea

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
borgar

Re: CS1 Castle by the Sea

Post by borgar »

chiisu81 wrote:Where I think these artistic maps could really be beneficial is for outdoor/wilderness maps, as well as those that may have a large number of unique features that MapMatic may not support. Perhaps maps like those in Wulfric's Tomb in AA2 that need to be re-done, borgar may want to try his/her hand at something like that?
I've had a look Wulfric's Tomb and this seem both more of a challenge and more useful. I'll look more closely at this (starting by reading the module).

Borgar
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Next on my list CS1 - Castle by the Sea:

Castle of the Unkown; Page 14; 20. Hall of Chaos; 2nd paragraph after monster description -

Currently: If he escapes, he will wreak saltatory mischief upon the countryside.

Saltatory is the Latin term for how nerve signals are sent from one nerve cell to another. Leaping from one cell to another. I don’t know if this is the term that was intended, mischief leaping around the countryside. There are three similar words that come to mind; salutatory, statutory, or solitary.
Salutatory is related to an introduction in the case the sentence would mean an introduction of mischief on the countryside. Statutory means required by law, in this case the sentence would mean that the mischief was mandated by the laws of chaos and nature. Solitary means singular, this would make the sentence mean that the vampire was the only one creating mischief across the countryside.

I’ll let others make the call on which term to use. For myself I think solitary would be the word to use.

Fortress of the Barbarian Queen; Page 27; Between Note on the Castle and Level 1 Key -

Currently there is a break making the top of the page the Notes and the bottom of the page the Level 1 Key there is no line to indicate this break. Four of the six adventures don’t use this style. To keep with the majority of styles in the module the top right and bottom left columns should be swapped. If the break is going to stay, a line to break the sections should be included.

Fortress of the Barbarian Queen; Page 29; Between Level 1 Key and Level 2 Key -

Currently there is a break making the top of the page the Level 1 Key and the bottom of the page the Level 2 Key there is no line to indicate this break. Four of the six adventures don’t use this style. To keep with the majority of styles in the module the top right and bottom left columns should be swapped. If the break is going to stay, a line to break the sections should be included.

Castle Under the Sea; Page 35; 15. Dining Hall -

The 2 Knight Stat Block are in Boxed Text, no other monsters are in blocked text.

The Call of Doom; Page 39; Between The Monsters and Level 1 Key -

Currently there is a break making the top of the page The Monsters and the bottom of the page the Level 1 Key there is no line to indicate this break. Four of the six adventures don’t use this style. To keep with the majority of styles in the module the top right and bottom left columns should be swapped. If the break is going to stay, a line to break the sections should be included.

The Call of Doom; Page 42; Between Level 1 Key and Level 2 Key -

Currently there is a break making the top of the page Level 1 Key and the bottom of the page the Level 1 Key there is no line to indicate this break. Four of the six adventures don’t use this style. To keep with the majority of styles in the module the top right and bottom left columns should be swapped. If the break is going to stay, a line to break the sections should be included.

The Call of Doom; Page 42; 13. Corridor -
There is a paragraph after the boxed text that describes the skeletaire storing undead here. This is the exact same text for the rooms 5, 9 and 10 which are undead barracks. This text should actually be in the description for Room 14 on page 43.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

borgar, did you still want to illustrate the second level?
borgar

Post by borgar »

chiisu81 wrote:borgar, did you still want to illustrate the second level?
I already did actually. I put the Gimp files here :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl-a ... WYxcDIyQWc

You may have to work on the grid lines.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok I've copied them to the Dropbox Projects folder. I'll see if I can rotate and scale a blank Mapmatic grid to match up with them. I'll also read through r12 and go over Al's recent notes as well as to see if I find anything.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've put r13 in the Projects folder. I also roughly edited and exported to .png the map images to prep them. I'll need Solo to finish up the map images (mainly check the sizes and add the needed labels/borders) and put them into r13. After that I think it'll be ready to post.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

CS1 Castle by the Sea, Release 13 -- March 12, 2018: This new release includes more edits by Al Vetter and James Lemon and new maps drawn by Borgar Olsen. Not yet a candidate for printing, but we're getting closer! I'll be running a public playtest of this book this weekend, and then we can begin final production development.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm working on R14 now. I've integrated that art from KJ Obrien that I mislaid, and am doing substantial work on Castle Under the Sea; I'll be running that adventure on Saturday at the St. Charles, MO Fantasy Shop location. I've found a rather long list of things that I'd like to tweak or rearrange, and one major thing I can't figure out.

How did the villain, Severin, sink the castle? I can't find any mention of magic that would give him that power.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
quozl

Post by quozl »

Ah, yes. We left that pretty vague but I believe we were thinking the wizard Simon had summoned earth elementals to weaken the foundation so that the ground under the castle would slide into the sea, taking the castle with it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Simon, as described, is the Baron's brother, and the one who casts the Water Breathing spells to help the adventurers enter the castle. I'm assuming this means he's an ally, and thus not the one undermining the castle.

The apparent villain, Severin is given as a 9th level Cleric, which does not offer him access to Conjure Elemental. I can see perhaps giving him a Stone Commanding Earth Elementals, which, having already used it on the day of the sinking, cannot be used again that day.

Or is Simon actually a villain? Is his assistance of the party a ruse?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the situation here. Help me out... why has Severin attacked the Baron? I can see that he's chosen a means of attacking that isolates the Baron and his men from normal reinforcements, and which allows the evil priest's Locathah allies a "terrain" advantage.

Once I understand the situation, I'll rewrite the "What's Going On Here?" section so it actually says what's going on. That section should always reveal the current situation and the plans of the NPCs/monsters to the GM, so that he or she knows how to play the scenario out.

I actually really like this adventure overall, but I need the gaps in my understanding filled in before I can run it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org