Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
OldGrayGeek

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by OldGrayGeek »

Good evening, all!

Like many, I'm sure, I've just discovered BF RPG through all the brouhaha over the OGL. Lovely timing with that, as I've been thinking of creating a series of micro-encounters and sets of NPCs to offer on a blog I'm (re)starting. At least I now know to check for things that might get snagged under OGL 1.1, and avoid it.

So, I started with AD&D in 1981, almost 3 years after co-buying a Player's Handbook with a friend. We got the book, still couldn't figure out how to play, and couldn't get anyone in our high school to confess to playing! He had to go off to the Marine Corps in California to discover the dark, deep secrets of the game, then teach me and a few others when he came home on leave. Three years later I was in on the start of the Rochester Wargamers' Association and Guild at RIT, the club that was later responsible for a long run of Rudicons. I've been in and out of gaming over the years, coming back to it in time to enjoy V3.0 and 3.5 when my older son was playing as a teenager.

Now, I have a new family, and a 5 year old son. And we want to use gaming as part of his home schooling. So I'm back in the game, so to speak, and I'm going to be homebrewing a light-and-easy version of D&D with less emphasis on fighting and dice rolling, and more on the role-playing and problem solving. And, because he's a train boy, there will be some kind of train involved. (I'm thinking that the gnomes have been working up something in cahoots with the dwarves!)

On, and just in case my gaming history isn't enough to establish geek cred, I'm also a host, editor and producer of the Renaissance Festival Music Podcast. Look us up!

TTFN
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome OGG!
Looking up your podcast now. But did want to say, Gnome Train is a great "dungeon" setting! Dig it.
I think my kids showed me that Infinity Train show, which would be good inspiration. I've always wanted to build a megadungeon based on the Irish Rover, pretty sure that would work too! :D

Again welcome!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

So I didn't realize that this is an introduction thread. I might as well put my two cents on this. :P

The name's Nëïgsëndöïg Cöcülës, an autistic Linux user who is new into this genre of gaming, even having played a solo session in BFRPG 3e using OPSE (One Page Solo Engine) as my GM Emulator, which didn't treat my character well (It was a new experience for me, since I hadn't played anything B/X-based before).

I am new to the TTRPG community in general, but would like to use FLOSS (Free/Libre Open-Source Software) to GM or play in any/all TTRPG sessions from BFRPG, OSRIC, or other OSR retroclones, to CC licensed TTRPG's in the fantasy genre and more open licenses (maybe Free Software licenses), since I'm all about freedom of distribution nowadays. Though I have DM'd a DnD 5e one-shot I had improvised, I will say DnD wasn't my game to begin with, and through research of open-source TTRPG's, that's how I found BFRPG (before the OGL caper that Hasbro/WotC decided to pull).

Currently, I'm working on a campaign module, which is in the planning stages right now, but it will be based upon my one-shot I had improvised, expanded to include multiple sessions. I intend to have it released for BFRPG, but it may I may edit it for other games as well to add a variety of styles of play in a dystopian dark fantasy setting (OSRIC, BIND, ORK, or maybe Ironsworn as examples). I also had thoughts on doing a recorded Session 0 trial once it is all finished using Jitsi, Revolt (A Discord alternative), and/or possibly Maptool (if I have the patience to learn it), and maybe publishing it on YouTube (don't know which channel of mine yet).

That's me, the American Android, in a nutshell. Should you have any questions, feel free to DM me; I'm always open to chat. :P
MoonSammy

Post by MoonSammy »

Hello I’ve fallen in love with this open source rpg. I won’t lie I don’t enjoy spending 30+ dollars on game books. The simplicity is great also AND it has a community AND these books have phenomenal content. I’m scrolling through Blackapple at the moment it’s done a great job of capturing my imagination. I do see the play by post section looks a little dusty but if someone is willing to play a slow (a post a day maybe) type game I’d be thrilled.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

MoonSammy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:31 am Hello I’ve fallen in love with this open source rpg. I won’t lie I don’t enjoy spending 30+ dollars on game books. The simplicity is great also AND it has a community AND these books have phenomenal content. I’m scrolling through Blackapple at the moment it’s done a great job of capturing my imagination. I do see the play by post section looks a little dusty but if someone is willing to play a slow (a post a day maybe) type game I’d be thrilled.
well it doesn't have to be that simple there are a lot of supplements that can add features, but it's all pick and choose, if you want druids for example, just use the Druid Supplement, it's very easy to tailor your game to your own needs
No matter where you go...there you are
knghtbrd

Post by knghtbrd »

Hello fellow creatures of mostly medium size,

I'm Joseph Carter, generally known as knghtbrd or iKarith most places. I've know about BFRPG for several years and just sort of filed its existence as "there". Played when I was a kid, but gave it up in high school because I wasn't cool enough to even hang with the nerds. *shrug* I'm an albino and legally blind, so … *shrug* Was a long time ago now.

So I wound up learning about that Internet thing and becoming a Linux dork and … yeah.

So when Critical Role started, the last D&D I'd played was 2E back when the monster manual was a stack of 3 ring binders. Decided to bug some friends and we got an informal game going. How informal? … Books? We don't need no steenkeng books! Character sheets looked like Professor Dan made them for grade schoolers. Combat was 5Eish because Critical Role was easy enough to learn from for those of us who hadn't done it in ages, but a couple folks at the table played 5E and/or PF if whoever was running the game at the time needed a rule. We never did though.

That fell apart during the pandemic because a couple folks moved and because … I had to super isolate for medical reasons well into late 2022 due to chemo. Albino, melanoma. Even in Sog Central Portlandia Oregon, that's a risk.

I'm here because … I have strong opinions about open source stuff and WotC/Hasbro decided they were going to try to make people think they could take D&D and turn it into a dystopian microtransaction hellscape. I know they can't, I've done enough Copyright stuff to know better, especially given that Hasbro themselves owned the website that said for how long that they just couldn't do it? Yeahhhh.

When I saw the 1.1 all-but-final draft text, I decided to clean room the 5E SRD. Obviously didn't need that for the game I was playing, but I wanted to make sure that nobody would be scared off of something because they'd used it or feel threatened enough to sign this OGL 1.1 er I mean 2.0(!) trash. Not much interest in what I was doing from other people so I resigned myself to it taking a long time.

And then y'all stood up and told WotC where to shove their so-called "O"GL update, and most folks realized they were perfectly safe to use the existing SRD and OGL version as long as they were careful what else they might agree to. So it became less of a priority unless my biggest goal was pissing off some corporate sleaze, and it's not. (It is a nice benefit though!)

That's when I found out Sol decided to just rewrite whatever parts of BFRPG needed it to be Hasbro-free under CC-BY-SA. Yes please, sign me up, happy to help, my own thing can wait.
MoonSammy

Post by MoonSammy »

Boggo wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:41 am
MoonSammy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:31 am Hello I’ve fallen in love with this open source rpg. I won’t lie I don’t enjoy spending 30+ dollars on game books. The simplicity is great also AND it has a community AND these books have phenomenal content. I’m scrolling through Blackapple at the moment it’s done a great job of capturing my imagination. I do see the play by post section looks a little dusty but if someone is willing to play a slow (a post a day maybe) type game I’d be thrilled.
well it doesn't have to be that simple there are a lot of supplements that can add features, but it's all pick and choose, if you want druids for example, just use the Druid Supplement, it's very easy to tailor your game to your own needs
Yes I understand how the supplements work. Thank you for pointing them out. Basic hits a sweet spot of enough mechanics to make a game, but not a mess of crunchy obscure rule digging for me.

*sorry if I cause some re posting issue, I thought I replied to this earlier, but I don’t see the post
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Boggo's a little rough around the edges but he's a good guy. Don't take his posts too seriously.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

knghtbrd wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:47 am That's when I found out Sol decided to just rewrite whatever parts of BFRPG needed it to be Hasbro-free under CC-BY-SA. Yes please, sign me up, happy to help, my own thing can wait.
We're glad you've come, knghtbrd. Plenty of Linux users in our ranks, too.
RamsHornStudios

Post by RamsHornStudios »

toddlyons wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:32 pm We're glad you've come, knghtbrd. Plenty of Linux users in our ranks, too.
I need to get my Pop_OS! boot back up and running again.