Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, welcome you guys! Glad to have you here!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome new peeps!!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

I think I've never properly introduced myself, so here I am. I'm half-Belarusian half-Ukrainian programmer living in Portugal. I mostly played 5e (and some AD&D 2e), but I've recently starting DMing with BFRPG.

To be honest, I can't say I have a particular preference for old-school TTRPGs. I feel like I could use any DnD-like system.

I love that BFRPG is relatively small. That character sheets can be ordinary pieces of paper. That the system is not over-complicated and doesn't require BFRPG Beyond to make sense.

But things like the lethality? I think that's up to discussion with the players before the game, and both BFRPG and 5e allow for different ways to play.

What really drew me into Basic Fantasy RPG is that it's free.

In our world, where ads are on every webpage and on every street, Basic Fantasy is a breath of fresh air.

When almost everyone is trying to sell me something, "Don't buy this book!" is so refreshing.

When planned obsolescence is built into most things, having rules compatible over decades is so precious.

Thanks to everyone working on BFRPG.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Welcome (officially!) Demetrius. I appreciated learning more about you.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

So, introductions huh?

I'm a software engineer for more decades than I like to admit, using more languages than I remember. Lately less code cutting and more management. Who am I kidding, the last few years have been all management. Which is fine. Someone needs to keep the code monkeys in check manage the budgets.

I'm somewhat eclectic in my TTRPG tastes. In the last year or two I've played many systems from Ironsworn (& Starforged), D&D 5e, BFRPG, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Beasts & Barrows, Scarlet Heroes, Labyrinth Lord, Savage Worlds, and a bunch of solo journalling games like Thousand Year Old Vampire. But when I started up a weekly face to face group last November, I chose Basic Fantasy RPG. I wanted something that would recreate the nostalgic feeling for my players who last played 20+ years ago, something that wouldn't overwhelm my brand-new players with too many character options, and something that wouldn't overwhelm me - a fairly new GM - with too many rules or books. BFRPG fits that bill perfectly. The modularity of core rules plus many optional supplements is perfect. I'm using core rules, equipment emporium, level 0 spells, and a very small number of optional rules.

Speaking of modularity, the game is set in the Dragonclaw Barony, with Dale as the current hometown. But I haven't run any of the adventures from Tales from the Laughing Dragon. I ran the one-page Sanctuary of the Cursed Druids, placing the sanctuary in the woods north of Dale. That adventure is written for Cairn but was trivial to adapt. After that I was planning to run The Waking of Willowby Hall but the players decided they wanted "something in a dwarven mine" so I'm running Gold in the Hills. I realised too late that I set it south of Dale pretty much where Dragonhall is marked on the larger world maps. I think that a great catastrophe befell Dragonhall sometime back, and now it's just a ruin. Maybe an ancient dragon moved in. Not sure yet.
I'm also on RPGG
Mental Elf

Post by Mental Elf »

Hi all!

Excited to find the community and rules. Total noob to BFrpg and OSR in general. To introduce myself: I haven't role-played or GMed in 30 years, and after quite a few years of variable but often debilitating mental health issues (hence my none-too-serious username), and resultant financial issues that has seen me increasingly too poor and anxious to do much, I suddenly had the idea to run a game for my friends. Get folks over for snacks and ADVENTURES.

This led to me looking up what's going on in RPG world, and given I never actually played D&D back in the day (MERP, CoC, WHFRP, RIFTS, Chill, Star Wars were my jam back then) i looked into that. Didn't have any interest in 5e, discovered OSR, and my search led me here via brief looks at OSRIC (too crunchy)and OSE (too expensive, the various books screwed with my OCD). Lovely folks on the BF discord convinced me that BF and the community around it was very much "my kinda thing". I am a sucker for grass roots DIY creative projects. Reading Kropotkin at a formative age probably has something to do with that!

So here I am, lovely to meet such a cool community of passionate ethical people. VERY excited to have arrived just as 4th happened. I am planning my own world setting to set my games in, and hopefully from that I may end up being able to contribute something back to the community, even if it's just yet ANOTHER world setting for folks to sandbox in if they wish :)

I am also a (currently not working) professional Miniatures sculptor, and a pretty decent one I'd like to think. I won't share my "brand" here as I assume that would be self promotion, but have sculpted for quite a few indie companies in the US and UK. Onthe off-chance anyone here is learning the mini sculpting ropes, I am happy to give any advice or tips that may be helpful to you, so feel free to ask.

Thanks for letting me in, I haven't felt this enthusiastic for a long time!

-Dave
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Welcome, Dave. :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Identifying who you work(ed) for is not a violation. As long as you're not advertising products or directing people to where these things can be bought, you're fine.

Also, welcome!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mars

Post by Mars »

Welcome Dave! I love your avatar picture--the Beast as Kitten!
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Mental Elf

Post by Mental Elf »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:58 pm Identifying who you work(ed) for is not a violation. As long as you're not advertising products or directing people to where these things can be bought, you're fine.

Also, welcome!
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I called my mini sculpting business "Major Threat Miniatures" but only have a facebook and Instagram artist page if anyone want to check out what I've done in the past (its not a sellingpage, just galleries and work in progress posts), but not been active for a year due to health.

I've sculpted for Forge Of Ice, Fenris Games, Bad Squiddo Games, Barbaric Splendor, Crom's Anvil 15mm range (now owned by CP Models), and probably a couple others I've forgotten! Lots of pics on my facebook and instagram pages.

Am about to delve into digital sculpting as that is currently what most companies want and see if I can kickstart MTM (and me) into productive life again.
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.