Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Solomoriah »

Human Fighter in a chainmail hauberk and nasal helm with a double-edged great axe.

Seriously. Humans with any sort of large broadaxe are always in loincloths. My Moziah never could get a decent miniature.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Hello!

I'm an old time dungeon master who started rpg 30 years ago with the red box (I still have it). After a long break up in gaming I came back and tried the new versions of DnD but it was to complex for me so I reverted to my good ol' red box.

Then I bought some BF adventures on Amazon and an intriguing little book called the Role-Playing Game Primer and Old School Playbook ;)

Technically I didn't play the BF rules yet, just the adventures.
"Use the Force Bilbo"
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Gandalf wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 am Technically I didn't play the BF rules yet, just the adventures.
Welcome! :D
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks!
"Use the Force Bilbo"
BlindAudelay

Post by BlindAudelay »

Hello! I've been out of the hobby for many years and am just coming back to it right now. Basic Fantasy RPG was one of the first RPGs I read after my initial exposure to the hobby via 4e D&D. How fitting that as I return to it, Basic Fantasy is on the cusp of releasing its 4th edition in print!

I love the old-school layout, font choices, and overall feel. The open philosophy behind the game is also magnificent. And finally, the price is hard to beat.

The long-term goal is to run some online games to get my feet wet, followed by starting up a weekly or bi-weekly group at my FLGS and/or local public library.
CrouchingPython

Post by CrouchingPython »

Hello all! I'm so excited to have found BFRPG. I DM'd 3.5 for my son and his friends back in the day but have been out of the hobby since then. While I didn't grow up playing DnD and thus have no nostalgic feelings about the Old School, I love the OSR approach -- more imagination, more teamwork, more "reality" (you're just a human trying your best), more fun! At least that's how it seems to me. I downloaded all the pdf's here but loved the core rulebook so much that I bought it from Amazon this week. Love the "open source" mentality.

I'm thinking seriously of running some after-school campaigns for middle schoolers. I am a former teacher (middle school computer science) and taught lots of coding through game design and my favorite, Minecraft! Also working on creating an RPG in Minecraft, and BF is a major source of inspiration.

Thanks for having me! Looking forward to hanging out and learning from y'all.
inhalvast

Post by inhalvast »

Greetings from sunny southeastern Virginia. I found BFRPG through researching alternative systems to D&D after deciding WotC will receive no more of my hard earned money. This comes after playing various editions of D&D for about a decade and a half, which seems like a tiny period of time compared to some of the timelines in this thread.

I'm setting up a group for this right now, this ruleset does everything I want and nothing I don't.
AugustDogdays

Post by AugustDogdays »

Hello I grew up in rural Southern Illinois and coerced my friends to play this game I was fascinated by call Basic D&D in 1981. Everybody but me thought it was weird. I played the three Fantasy Trip games at a local bookstore and then nothing until last year when I began playing 5e and Starfinder on fantasy grounds.

I've always liked the solo play concept and well am drawn to older systems and this led me to Basic Fantasy. When I can convert any solo game over to Basic Fantasy I do. I've done my lil experiments with other systems and Basic Fantasy just is more fun and well basic.

I sometimes think I could make a lil solo game about Summer semester at a Monestary where all the staff left except for that one old monk who looks over the one or two acolyte monks with nowhere to go and the washouts who have to be gone by Fall semester (not a good look to chuck them out in the streets well wilds immediately for the monestary (basically why the not too devout old monk is tolerated... has a knack for ridding them).

Problem is the staples the monk needs for sanity a rare honey, a rarer tea and meditative weed has disappeared from the three separate trade areas and though the old monk can not leave the monestary (they tolerate quite a bit from him but that would be too much) well an acolyte and one or two of "them"... A washout sidekick or two... No KI... But maybe they can develop into somebody better then a wastrel street urchin or other sorted past they came from... Who would know? and so the adventure begins. Anyway I'd make it for Basic for I have no idea how to do this lol.
Mistakes were made.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Umm I don't think you mean a Monastery as thats a permanent residence for Monks, the rest of your idea sounds like a Seminary, which is a school for priests (so could have Friars, who are ordained Monks) and DOES have semesters as it's a school.
No matter where you go...there you are
AugustDogdays

Post by AugustDogdays »

I sort of saw it as seperate from a seminary which would be more Cleric and prayer based in my mind as compared to monastic life aka work on a spiritual level (repetitive basic work) and meditation. I also would see it as not a good v evil but a mastering of one's body be it vows of silence, meditation and work. I also so see this as a melding of Tibetin monks and Western monks. I really am relying on pop cultural references and am just making all this up. I do appreciate your insight. For me it really comes down to how faith is connected to a class. Clerics through thought/prayer and Monks through work/repetition. Once again I see it as different but maybe it is the same side of the coin.
Mistakes were made.