Equipment Emporium Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Boggo

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by Boggo »

JugglinDan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:34 am Status: in-progress
* Why do we have "Great Axe" and "Great Mace" but "Greatclub" is a single word? Is this based on historic precedent? Also, in most sources I can find "morningstar" is two words - "morning star". Quarterstaff is correctly a single word.
Morning Star is the planet Venus, Morningstar is the weapon though more often than Morningstar they were called spiked maces, Greatclub and Greataxe should be one word, Great Mace is actually properly a War Mace or more often a Footmans Mace.
No matter where you go...there you are
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Boggo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:27 am
JugglinDan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:34 am Status: in-progress
* Why do we have "Great Axe" and "Great Mace" but "Greatclub" is a single word? Is this based on historic precedent? Also, in most sources I can find "morningstar" is two words - "morning star". Quarterstaff is correctly a single word.
Morning Star is the planet Venus, Morningstar is the weapon though more often than Morningstar they were called spiked maces, Greatclub and Greataxe should be one word, Great Mace is actually properly a War Mace or more often a Footmans Mace.
You could be right about morning stars. I have Ewart Oakeshott's book European Weapons and Armour and his chapter on maces has nothing to say about morning stars (one word or two), but quite a few spiked maces. I don't think it's helpful to get too caught up in historical accuracy though, otherwise I'll start going on about studded leather as mis-identified brigandine :)

Plus, he does annoying things like spell warhammer as war-hammer.
I'm also on RPGG
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

war-hammer is the actual correct way to write it, Morningstar was only ever a nickname, and generally accepted it was coined well after they were used (and flanged maces were always MUCH better so outlasted spiked maces by a hundred years or more)
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

I'm not sure of the right etiquette for this, so apologies if I'm just being too impatient. Can one of the primary editors of EE please indicate that they've seen the list of corrections I posted on the previous page? I don't mind whether you use any of them or not, just that you get the chance to review them. When the conversation flows onto different topics on different pages, then after a few days I get a little worried that the post will be lost in the mists of time.

And if the etiquette is to wait 5, 7 or 14 days then please let me know. I'm new and perhaps too eager.
I'm also on RPGG
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

JugglinDan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:48 pm And if the etiquette is to wait 5, 7 or 14 days then please let me know. I'm new and perhaps too eager.
"Just waiting" is the proper etiquette. Things are done at the pace of each individual contributor, we never rush nor rush others (unless Solo puts a time limit or a project priority).

The editor team is not huge, and they have their own things to do, just wait and one of them eventually will work on this.

And if time goes by and nothing is done, you can grab the .odt and work on it, doing oneself the things one wants to see done is one of the core mentalities of Basic Fantasy.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Dimirag wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:37 pm
JugglinDan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:48 pm And if the etiquette is to wait 5, 7 or 14 days then please let me know. I'm new and perhaps too eager.
"Just waiting" is the proper etiquette. Things are done at the pace of each individual contributor, we never rush nor rush others (unless Solo puts a time limit or a project priority).

The editor team is not huge, and they have their own things to do, just wait and one of them eventually will work on this.

And if time goes by and nothing is done, you can grab the .odt and work on it, doing oneself the things one wants to see done is one of the core mentalities of Basic Fantasy.
Thanks for politely responding to my eager impatience. Message received and lesson learned.

I'm happy to grab the .odt and make all the edits I suggested as tracked changes. I didn't do so here since I wasn't certain about whether someone else had the file checked out or not.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have seen the post you mention; it's in one of my many open tabs, awaiting my attention.

Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:14 am I have seen the post you mention; it's in one of my many open tabs, awaiting my attention.

Thanks!
Thanks for being so patient with my eagerness. I think I'd rather face a tentacle worm armed only with a toothbrush than face the workload of your many pending editorial tasks!
I'm also on RPGG
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Goose has a HD of 1, seems a bit too much suggest changing to 1/2 (1d4 HP) at most or (1d2 HP).
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

obviously written by someone who approached a goose nest at the wrong time of year methinks...