CS3 Mysterious Island Contest

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
sean8223

Re: Mysterious Island Contest

Post by sean8223 »

Here is "The Prison of the Three Sisters", my take on the Mysterious Island map.

The attached zip file contains images for player handouts. The files are in Inkscape SVG format and should scale to any size. I made 600-dpi PNG exports of each as well.

Enjoy!
Attachments
CS3-ThePrisonOfTheThreeSisters-r1.odt
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
CS3-ThePrisonOfTheThreeSisters-r1-images.zip
(4.68 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

I made a colored version of the island map, for anyone who plays online (or just wants a colored version). The zip file contains the SVG source used to create the export.
Attachments
Mysterious_Island_R0_Colored_Outline_Hexes.png
Mysterious_Island_R0_Colored_Outline_Hexes.png (280.37 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Mysterious_Island_R0.svg.zip
(82.05 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rutibex has placed his "Isle of Beauty" entry on DriveThruRPG, and has advertised it on Reddit. He has also neglected to state that it's AI-generated.

This is not illegal, nor even "wrong" in general. However, I can't see the whole thing without buying it, which I'm not going to do (he's charging as much for the PDF as we will probably charge for the printed book of all the other entries), so I don't know for sure, but the island hex map is my work and the preview indicates I have not been credited.

Rutibex: I am very disappointed.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/42 ... -of-Beauty

https://www.reddit.com/r/osr/comments/1 ... odule_the/
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Update to the above:

I went back through this very thread and found Rutibex's submission; the file I downloaded appears to be the same file as the preview on DTRPG showed (at least, the first six pages match) and it does include my island hex map, uncredited.

So.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 am Update to the above:

I went back through this very thread and found Rutibex's submission; the file I downloaded appears to be the same file as the preview on DTRPG showed (at least, the first six pages match) and it does include my island hex map, uncredited.

So.
Wow. Um...I'm going to go with an understatement here and just say "not cool."
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Of course, Creative Commons BY-SA means free forever, so no-one has to purchase the item unless they really want to support him financially.

For everyone else: https://archive.org/details/the-isle-of ... 2/mode/1up
Last edited by toddlyons on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll be honest here... this is one of the most bizarre adventure modules I've seen. Starting on the page numbered 48 is a list of 2d20 (so 39) possible motivations for the "main" succubus inhabiting the island. I mean, 39 possible motivations... wow. Why? Is there a good reason not to give her a given motivation, or a short list of good options to choose from? And why use a two-die roll with a "pyramid" distribution?

Then, starting on the following page and running to page 57 is a huge list of possible personas that creature might present as. 101 reasons, to be precise, rolled on 1d101.

1d101. Somebody tell me how to roll that.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I suppose replayability is one possible reason, but excessive randomness and unrollable ranges (without a computer) doesn't make sense.

I made an encounter yesterday that describes the space as containing "hundreds, perhaps thousands of warriors engaged in single combat," but only gave stats for 20 potential foes as the PCs try to cross the space. I guess 39 or 101 would have been more realistic.
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:09 am Rutibex has placed his "Isle of Beauty" entry on DriveThruRPG, and has advertised it on Reddit. He has also neglected to state that it's AI-generated.

This is not illegal, nor even "wrong" in general. However, I can't see the whole thing without buying it, which I'm not going to do (he's charging as much for the PDF as we will probably charge for the printed book of all the other entries), so I don't know for sure, but the island hex map is my work and the preview indicates I have not been credited.

Rutibex: I am very disappointed.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/42 ... -of-Beauty

https://www.reddit.com/r/osr/comments/1 ... odule_the/
As Toddlyons helpfully pointed out this is basically a donation page so my family and friends can give me a few bucks. Despite what you all might think about AI I put a lot of effort into this module and I honestly didn't think it would be judged fairly considering the negative reaction of the community. The module is free to download and remix for anyone who can find a link to it. Thats my plan, to release as much AI generated content as possible and flood the creative commons with more material than wizard of the coast could ever imagine.

I apologize for not including credit for your hex map, would you like me to add it? I wasn't aware that it was specifically yours. I took your name and basic fantasy out because I assumed you didn't want to be associated with anything AI generated. I can put your name back in, and a link to basic fantasy if you want.
Rutibex

Post by Rutibex »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:25 am I'll be honest here... this is one of the most bizarre adventure modules I've seen. Starting on the page numbered 48 is a list of 2d20 (so 39) possible motivations for the "main" succubus inhabiting the island. I mean, 39 possible motivations... wow. Why? Is there a good reason not to give her a given motivation, or a short list of good options to choose from? And why use a two-die roll with a "pyramid" distribution?

Then, starting on the following page and running to page 57 is a huge list of possible personas that creature might present as. 101 reasons, to be precise, rolled on 1d101.

1d101. Somebody tell me how to roll that.
The module was written by an insane witch copying it from a magic book (at least as a framing device). Its a joke