CS3 Mysterious Island Contest

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
UptonGames

Re: Mysterious Island Contest

Post by UptonGames »

Same here, good luck to all submitters. You are all winners, having demonstrated that you have boundless imagination, the organization to put it in readable format and the drive to get it done. Remind yourself that not everyone can do this.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... okay, three words:

eight
point
type

You know who you are, and what you did to my eyes... :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

UptonGames wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:51 am Same here, good luck to all submitters. You are all winners, having demonstrated that you have boundless imagination, the organization to put it in readable format and the drive to get it done. Remind yourself that not everyone can do this.
And this, among other things, made my day. Thank you, for that comment @UptonGames! :D
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

No problem. Maybe I was just patting myself on the back.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Thanks! Best of luck to anyone that participated. I've read couple of entries so far and I am very impressed by everyone's level of creativity.
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 am ... okay, three words:

eight
point
type

You know who you are, and what you did to my eyes... :D
I don't know about anyone else but I was just working with the format of the template. It had 9.5 point type in places, so I went with it. For my old eyes 14 point is the minimum I want to work with.
I was also put off by the contrast between the 9.5 and the 14 point. A little more consistency might have been appreciated.
Could the template have smaller margins allowing for more space and a larger type font? That's what I usually do, but I didn't want to fool around with the template too much.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I think he's referring to the entry where monster blocks have a... somewhat exaggerated font size, compared to the rest of the text.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

One adventure had multiple tables with 8 pt. type in them.

We've updated from 9.5 point to 10 point for body text, but the skeleton for this one was still using 9.5 point. I'm revising the documents as I come to them, and making notes for future style updates while I'm at it.

Upton, a bunch of your module was in really huge type. I assumed you did this intentionally... was that not so?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm One adventure had multiple tables with 8 pt. type in them.
:shock: I just realized I did this. My apologies.
Doppelganger

Post by Doppelganger »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:16 am One note as I've been going forward: If you created your own artwork for your adventure, great! However, you are affected by the same Art Submission Guidelines as found in the Artwork forum as any other artist. In particular, interior artwork cannot be in color. Also, please ensure that your scanned art is at least 984 pixels wide for single-column images, 2050 pixels wide for page-width images, with all unused blank (white) areas cropped away. Images with dark backgrounds or outlines should be cropped just to the edge of the dark area; for images that are already dark all the way to the edge, you don't necessarily need to crop them. But I will remove excess outside whitespace (and then use the leeway thus gained to position the art on the page to best effect) so please keep that in mind when scanning. If you're not sure how to proceed, just scan at 600 DPI or higher and you should be fine.
Well I messed this one up- a bunch of mine are color (though really close to monochrome). I can go back and adjust them all to the guidelines... how soon is it needed?