Dog-Faced Kobolds

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Dog-Faced Kobolds

Post by Solomoriah »

I used the one without the horns. They don't make sense with the current description.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Good, I don't care for horns either.
This discussion is making me question my understanding of how we're disentangling BF 4E from some other company's "artistic expression" (or whatever the term of phrase is). We can use "gnolls" (or "gnoles") because such creatures predate TSR, but BF gnolls can't look like hyenas cuz that's a TSR take on the gnoll. Right?
So for kobolds, we're also dealing with creature from pre-D&D folklore, so the name is cool. But the artistic expression from TSR/WoTC is both draconic (late edition WoTC) and scaly horned dogs (AD&D). So we have to avoid both of those depictions? Am I understanding things correctly?
I'm tempted to call my lawyer, but once I start rambling about scaly schnauzers I just know it's gonna be an expensive call.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That's the gist of it.

"artistic presentation" is pretty nebulous, which is why this is such a mess.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Bumblepig wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:16 am Good, I don't care for horns either.
This discussion is making me question my understanding of how we're disentangling BF 4E from some other company's "artistic expression" (or whatever the term of phrase is). We can use "gnolls" (or "gnoles") because such creatures predate TSR, but BF gnolls can't look like hyenas cuz that's a TSR take on the gnoll. Right?
So for kobolds, we're also dealing with creature from pre-D&D folklore, so the name is cool. But the artistic expression from TSR/WoTC is both draconic (late edition WoTC) and scaly horned dogs (AD&D). So we have to avoid both of those depictions? Am I understanding things correctly?
I'm tempted to call my lawyer, but once I start rambling about scaly schnauzers I just know it's gonna be an expensive call.
100% correct!
No matter where you go...there you are
TeranceCrosby

Post by TeranceCrosby »

My attempt to draw a kobold king based on Gabe H Fua's design

FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Wooh! looks fierce! But not sooo fierce a new adventurer wouldn't at least try! I like it :!:
Best of journey's, fellow adventurer.

If you would like to check out some artwork :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/inkandcargopantz/?hl=en
TeranceCrosby

Post by TeranceCrosby »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:13 pm Wooh! looks fierce! But not sooo fierce a new adventurer wouldn't at least try! I like it :!:
Thank you!
RamsHornStudios

Post by RamsHornStudios »

TeranceCrosby wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:56 pm My attempt to draw a kobold king based on Gabe H Fua's design
Very nice work!
Gittoes

Post by Gittoes »

Very cool. Nice job
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

TeranceCrosby wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:56 pm My attempt to draw a kobold king based on Gabe H Fua's design

Great you posted it here! 😀
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.