Dog-Faced Kobolds

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Milanotaur

Re: Dog-Faced Kobolds

Post by Milanotaur »

Hello all! Another kobold to join the gang!
Attachments
kobold.jpg
kobold.jpg (399.89 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wow, nice, Milanotaur! If you've read the Submission Guidelines, please send me a PM here on the forum confirming your agreement and giving me your name as you want it in the credits of any document we use your art in. Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Gittoes

Post by Gittoes »

Amazing Milanotaur! Very Jim Holloway in style... I love that
Milanotaur

Post by Milanotaur »

TY!
Greg_A

Post by Greg_A »

Very nice! 8-)
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Demetrius wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:48 am I absolutely love the dog-faced kobolds! These pictures are so good!

However, I'd like to note that we already have cynocephalus-like people in Field Guide 1, caneins (FG1, p. 16). If kobolds can be like any dog breed, how are they distinguished from caneins?

(Although I guess we could retcon it so that caneins are related to kobolds, or maybe even a type of kobolds? Maybe caneins are kobold paladins?

Or maybe caneins know they're totally different from kobolds, but other people confuse them all the time?)
I am also wondering the same thing, they don't seem like they fill the little trap laying schemer role they usually fill. Is there a new definition of Kobolds for Basic Fantasy where there are no reptilian features? Since Kobolds pre-date DnD is a large change to them needed?

Regardless, I do like all of these creature designs and am working on my own rascally Kobold to contribute :D I wonder if there is way to rectify both the classic nature of the Kobolds and dog-men look alike ideas.
Best of journey's, fellow adventurer.

If you would like to check out some artwork :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/inkandcargopantz/?hl=en
teaman

Post by teaman »

Milanotaur wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm Hello all! Another kobold to join the gang!
Very nice, hope it finds a home in one of the books very soon! Hope to see more of your drawings.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:03 pm
Demetrius wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:48 am I absolutely love the dog-faced kobolds! These pictures are so good!

However, I'd like to note that we already have cynocephalus-like people in Field Guide 1, caneins (FG1, p. 16). If kobolds can be like any dog breed, how are they distinguished from caneins?

(Although I guess we could retcon it so that caneins are related to kobolds, or maybe even a type of kobolds? Maybe caneins are kobold paladins?

Or maybe caneins know they're totally different from kobolds, but other people confuse them all the time?)
I am also wondering the same thing, they don't seem like they fill the little trap laying schemer role they usually fill. Is there a new definition of Kobolds for Basic Fantasy where there are no reptilian features? Since Kobolds pre-date DnD is a large change to them needed?

Regardless, I do like all of these creature designs and am working on my own rascally Kobold to contribute :D I wonder if there is way to rectify both the classic nature of the Kobolds and dog-men look alike ideas.
Kobolds are smaller, tribal and have the heads of ANY breed whereas all Canid's look like boxers, are much larger, and more advanced society wise.

There are no lizard features in 4e Kobolds as that is WOTC intellectual property, yes Kobolds predate RPG's however they were mythologically faeries, the German equivalent to the Scottish Brownie, what you call the "classic" nature of Kobolds is strictly from 3e D&D (the first time they were described as lizardlike, though 2e did add Scaly to the 1e description of "Dog headed"
No matter where you go...there you are
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Kobolds are smaller, tribal and have the heads of ANY breed whereas all Canid's look like boxers, are much larger, and more advanced society wise.

There are no lizard features in 4e Kobolds as that is WOTC intellectual property, yes Kobolds predate RPG's however they were mythologically faeries, the German equivalent to the Scottish Brownie, what you call the "classic" nature of Kobolds is strictly from 3e D&D (the first time they were described as lizardlike, though 2e did add Scaly to the 1e description of "Dog headed"
Gots it, thank you!
This guy does not have Leather armour... and I think knobbly hands would be most fun, but here you go. Sketchy idea.
Attachments
kobold4 (2).jpg
kobold4 (2).jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
kobold3 (2).jpg
kobold3 (2).jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Best of journey's, fellow adventurer.

If you would like to check out some artwork :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/inkandcargopantz/?hl=en
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:33 pm Gots it, thank you!
This guy does not have Leather armour... and I think knobbly hands would be most fun, but here you go. Sketchy idea.
Not all Kobolds are warriors (though at least in my game they are all worriers!) so no leather armour isn't a big deal! I love it, think the pose and outfit is intriguing! looks to me like a stealthy sneaky Kobold inspecting the loot stolen from some big stupid flatface that's invaded it's lair!
No matter where you go...there you are