Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Mental Elf

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by Mental Elf »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:35 pm So now you need to PM me your credits name as you want it to appear in the Core Rules. Welcome to the proofing team... :D
Oh wow! Cool, not sure I've earned it but thank you! Will PM it over :)
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
Mental Elf

Post by Mental Elf »

I raised this in General as a full topic:
https://basicfantasy.org/forums/posting ... it&p=90539

but will mention here, in case it seems valid for the actual rulebook: A list/index of monsters grouped by TYPE, for easy look up by Noobs who are unfamiliar with the legacy names and types of the Other Game or BFG. Perhaps this would be more appropriate added to the existing Index of Monsters in Downloads.

I.e I want to include an idea for an Undead in an adventure, but also want to review all the indead already in the game, to see if one is a match for my idea. Unless I do a "find undead" lookup in the pdf I cant see anyway to quickly know what all the Undead monsters are.

The monster names in the rulebook dont have "Type" next to the name, so flicking through a print copy to find all undead is also a bit difficult as a noob.
"I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish. What I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later"
- Bilbo Bagshot.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

monster type is an AD&D thing not a B/X thing which is why it's not there, the Spreadsheet in the showcase has Family (which is the same as AD&D's type) HD for everything in the 3e Core and FG1 so it's probably a good place to start
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not against classifying monsters, but I prefer to keep the classifications "loose." Overclassification is one symptom of rules creep.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:47 am I'm not against classifying monsters, but I prefer to keep the classifications "loose." Overclassification is one symptom of rules creep.
I'm currently doing it for a spreadsheet for my own use, and it's actually quite tricky to find a balance for it.

This is the 1e List of monster types:

Humanoid Human or Human-like races (includes orcs, bugbear, and elves)
Monstrous Humanoid Bipedal humanoid races with monstrous or very animal appearance (includes minotaur, sahuagin, and harpy)
Giant Giant sized humanoids (Includes trolls, ogres, and giants)
Animal Normal animals, or creatures similar to real world animals (includes snakes, dinosaur, and bats)
Vermin Mice, Rats, Insects, Spiders, and other creepy crawlies
Magical Beast Chimeric creatures and animal like creatures with magical abilities (includes griffin, owlbear, and displacer beasts)
Outsider Creatures not native to the prime material plane (includes devils, demons, and elementals)
Construct Creatures created by magic (includes golems and homonculus)
Fey Races of the forest (includes pixies, brownies, and centaur)
Undead Any undead creature
Plant Plant or Fungi based creatures (includes shambling mounds, ents, and molds)
Ooze Slimes, Puddings, and Ooze like creatues (includes crystal ooze, gelatenous cubes, and green slimes)
Dragon Dragons or related monsters (includes true dragons, wyvern, and dragonet)
Monster Monstrous creatures which fall into no clear category (includes umberhulks, otyughs, and naga)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Where did you find that list? Because there are things on it I don't remember (like vermin).
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

that particular one is from this spreadsheet,https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dbnk0e6xp1ss ... .xlsx?dl=0 the old Dragonsfoot Monster DB

But it hits the balance for me I think. Not really any sign of it in use officially in MM books before 3e
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, that makes more sense. Despite not having played or run 1E in decades, I never have the books far away from me.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I did some research and it's basically the 3e monster types with a few (beast, shapeshifter for example) removed
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:41 pm Thorin, regarding the crocodiles: The comma is optional in that usage, and I prefer not to use it. The semicolon is not correct in that usage at all.

For the stegosaurus, the lower saving throws are intentional. I suspect I've "fixed" some that were intentional but I forgot my intent... gah.

The hyphen in the stegosaurus text is in fact missing, and I've added it. The semicolon is incorrect in that usage.

The deal with semicolons is like this, according to Indiana University of Pennsylvania (yeah, it's real apparently):
Use a semicolon between closely related independent clauses which are not joined by a coordinating conjunction. This rule means that semicolons are used between two complete sentences which are not already linked by words like and, but, or, nor, for, so, yet.
The trailing bits after your suggested semicolons are not complete sentences by themselves.
Huh. Okay. I do apologize. I guess I do not remember my high school english correctly. I thought there was something about subordinate clauses and semicolons? At any rate, my apologies. I'll also just take any saving throw differences as intentioonal then as I continue adding entries to teh online guide.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin