Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Lars. I could NOT find documentation on how that worked.

The two tables floating to the top are inserted in frames, making them behave more like art than text. I assume that pulls them out of the main document structure; there's no way to fix that without changing how the flow works for print purposes, and I am not doing that.

I will change the header style for the Clerics vs. Undead table though.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

It was fun experimenting and learning how it all worked. I'm glad the table heading can be adjusted though. I'm happy to add bookmarks to the print version pdf if needed.
I'm also on RPGG
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

JugglinDan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:57 pm I'm happy to volunteer to create a bookmarked PDF once the print candidate is finalised. I use bookmarks extensively in my PDFs, so I'll be bookmarking all the major sections on a stable version anyway.
If I can help I'm happy to pitch in. For what it's worth, many of the Core Rules releases prior to 4th edition seemed to have them, fewer in the 4th edition releases, and I've checked nearly every one. For whatever reason the TOC used to be in the Core Rules more often than not, and now it's not. If I can assist with checking the PDFs in various browsers and viewers I'm happy to help out. I have Windows 11 if that level of checking can be helpful.
feveredmonk

Combination Classes text suggestions

Post by feveredmonk »

I appreciate the simplicity in the Combination Classes rules, though there may be an opportunity for q simple clarification:

Hit dice progression beyond 9th level is not identified for either combined class.

Suggestion: State the Fighter/Magic-User combined classes uses the thief Hit Dice table, instead of just stating 1d6. And for the Magic-User/Thief state the hit point progression follow either the Magic-User or Thief, as they are identical; though for consistency and simplicity both could say use the Thief for hit dice progression.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hit Dice progression beyond 9th level uses the best of the two classes; this is the "default" rule.

Volunteers have created bookmarks from time to time; this is the first time I've been able to get automatic bookmarks working at all. Throughout 1st and 2nd editions, the book was too complex for the OpenOffice.org of the day so I had to break it up and then merge the PDFs, which does not preserve bookmarks or structure; for the 3rd edition I did not have time or energy to fix that.
Dimirag

Re: Combination Classes text suggestions

Post by Dimirag »

feveredmonk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 am Suggestion: State the Fighter/Magic-User combined classes uses the thief Hit Dice table, instead of just stating 1d6.
I'm guessing you meant Cleric progression (d6/+1) but its Elven Fighter progression (d6/+2)
feveredmonk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 am And for the Magic-User/Thief state the hit point progression follow either the Magic-User or Thief, as they are identical; though for consistency and simplicity both could say use the Thief for hit dice progression.
They aren't identical
MU: d4/+1
Thief: d4/+2

Hit die & hit points are "the best of the 2" subjected to race limitations, hence the d6 for the F/MU.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Combination Classes text suggestions

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:17 am They aren't identical
MU: d6/+1
Thief: d6/+2
d4, not d6.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Yeap, totally failed on that one, corrected above.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

S'awright. Everyone misses one sometimes.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Core Rules 4th Edition, Release 126 -- March 30, 2023
Another new print release candidate; this one changes how the document structure is exported to the PDF. The only print-visible change is to the heading of the Clerics vs. Undead table.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules4