Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
alexthehack

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by alexthehack »

Don't hit me but…on p. 65, shouldn't the listing for Barklings come before Basilisk alphabetically? And should it also be Barkling instead of Barklings, since the other monster names aren't plural?
peelseel2

Post by peelseel2 »

Should the Cloud Dragon have the notation of Gold Dragon? It is the only chromatic dragon not listed.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

peelseel2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 pm Should the Cloud Dragon have the notation of Gold Dragon? It is the only chromatic dragon not listed.
Solo answered this before about 10-15 pages back, he doesn't want to do it for the Cloud Dragon as they are not necessarily Golden in colour
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

JugglinDan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 pm... and some slight discomfort at the wording of Passwall.
Okay, you can't leave it at that. What's wrong with it?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:47 pm
JugglinDan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 pm... and some slight discomfort at the wording of Passwall.
Okay, you can't leave it at that. What's wrong with it?
Honestly, nothing other than personal taste. In "The passage is up to 10 feet deep plus an additional 10 feet deep per three caster levels above 9th (20 feet at 12th, 30 feet deep at 15th, 40 feet deep at 18th)." I wouldn't repeat "deep" so often, perhaps something like "The passage is up to 10 feet deep plus an additional 10 feet per three caster levels above 9th (20 feet at 12th, 30 feet at 15th, 40 feet at 18th)."

I think it reads a little easier and is no less clear.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

alexthehack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 pm Don't hit me but…on p. 65, shouldn't the listing for Barklings come before Basilisk alphabetically? And should it also be Barkling instead of Barklings, since the other monster names aren't plural?
ACK.

How did no one notice this before???
peelseel2 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 pm Should the Cloud Dragon have the notation of Gold Dragon? It is the only chromatic dragon not listed.
As Boggo says, my Cloud Dragons are not necessarily gold in color. They run through much of the "metallic spectrum" in fact.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

bugleyman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 pm Nice! This is the one folks. I can feel it. :lol:
YOU!

It's YOUR fault! You jinxed us!

:D :D :D :D :D
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm
alexthehack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 pm Don't hit me but…on p. 65, shouldn't the listing for Barklings come before Basilisk alphabetically? And should it also be Barkling instead of Barklings, since the other monster names aren't plural?
ACK.

How did no one notice this before???
I read this section last night and didn't notice either. I'll hand in my proofreader card on the way out.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

JugglinDan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am I read this section last night and didn't notice either. I'll hand in my proofreader card on the way out.
OH NO, you're not getting off THAT easy! :D
JugglinDan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am Honestly, nothing other than personal taste. In "The passage is up to 10 feet deep plus an additional 10 feet deep per three caster levels above 9th (20 feet at 12th, 30 feet deep at 15th, 40 feet deep at 18th)." I wouldn't repeat "deep" so often, perhaps something like "The passage is up to 10 feet deep plus an additional 10 feet per three caster levels above 9th (20 feet at 12th, 30 feet at 15th, 40 feet at 18th)."
Hmm. It's not bad enough to do another candidate, but if I do one for some other reason I'll revise the spell.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Forgive me for straying from proofreading to stylistic suggestions. The "and best of all" in a sentence about dragons on page 80 (third paragraph second column) reads a little awkwardly to me. If I were reading it out loud it feels like there's an extra pause or two in there, which would be written with more commas:
"All dragons crave wealth, hoarding as many coins, gems, items of jewelry, and best of all, magic items in their lair as possible."

or even
"All dragons crave wealth, hoarding as many coins, gems, items of jewelry, and, best of all, magic items in their lair as possible."

If that's too many commas, then maybe
"All dragons crave wealth, hoarding as many coins, gems, items of jewelry, and magic items in their lair as possible. Of these, most dragons prize magic items above all other treasures."

Prize could be replaced with desire or covet too.

To me, this reads a little easier and also suggests potential bargaining strategies for players.
Last edited by JugglinDan on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm also on RPGG