Monster creations

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
JugglinDan

Re: Monster creations

Post by JugglinDan »

targenthan wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:50 pm
Boggo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:10 am Another one
Skeletal Steed
Love it - thanks for this :)
It reminds me of the skeleton horses in Minecraft. Would make a great mount for a player character if only they could tame or control one.
I'm also on RPGG
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

well it's mindless undead like a skeleton, so there should be a way, probably just a command from the necromancer involved in it's creation
No matter where you go...there you are
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

I moved this from the FG1 thread.

Would this be an okay thread to post an issue I have with one of the monsters?

Specifically, the Stalag, which is the BFRPG form of the piercer. The monster itself doesn't bother me; it's the name. I think Stalag would be better suited for another monster we could "port over", the Roper, which looked like a stalagmite, and would attack people by snagging them and crushing.

But then I had a further idea, what if Stalags were an older form of *Stalacs* which would be the new name for current Stalags. Stalacs would still hang from the ceiling and drop, and Stalags would be more mature forms that would set up ambushes in conjunction with Stalacs, holding prey in place so the more immature Stalacs could stab it?

Leave the current Stalag alone, but rename it to Stalac, then add the Stalag, a 3HD creature that has 6 ropy tentcales and can grapple up to three victims at once, granting any Stalacs a +2 attack bonus. It can also deliver 1 bite per round. Perhaps it would have some R treasure that it would "salt" the ground near itself, to attract prey.

Maybe this has already been addressed though. I skipped all the way to the end rather than slog through each post...

EDIT: Then I thought I could also make the *Kollum* which would be an even older form that could not only ensnare prey, but it could execute a slam attack by bending itself in the middle and doing a head butt.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Okay. I couldn't sleep, so I made these:

Stalac

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 1
No. of Attacks: 1 stab
Damage: 1d6 stab
Movement: 10'
No. Appearing: 3d6
Save As: Fighter: 1
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 25

The Stalac looks very much like a stalactite, hanging from
the ceiling of a natural cave. It senses the sounds and
warmth of living creatures nearby, and attacks by dropping
onto the victim. Due to its camouflage and its silent attack,
it surprises on 1-5 on 1d6.

Stalag

Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 3
No. of Attacks: 3 grapple + constrict / 1 bite
Damage: 1d6 constriction 1d6 bite
Movement: 10'
No. Appearing: 2d6
Save As: Fighter: 3
Treasure Type: R, S
XP: 175

The Stalag looks very much like a stalamite, and is a more mature form of the Stalac. In fact, Stalags are nearly always found among a group of Stalacs. As a Stalac matures, it slowly grows too large and heavy to haul itself back to the ceiling of its cavern, and so becomes a sessile creature. After this happens, its nearly vestigial limbs begin to grow into a set of six tentacles. When hels close to the body, they are nearly undetectable.

The Stalag hunts by luring creatures to it by leaving a scattering of coins around it and snaring them with its tentacles when they come too close, constricting the creature, then eating it once dead. A Stalag attempts to snare a creature with at least two of its tentacles (more for large creatures). Once successfully grappled by 2 tentacles, each victim automatically takes 1d6 constricting damage. A stalag may ensnare up to three creatures at a time. The Stalag may also attempt to bite once per round for 1d6 damage. The range of a Stalag’s tentacle is 15’.

If there are any Stalacs present, they may try to “poach” the Stalags meal. If so, they will have a +2 bonus to attack since their target is being held. Due to a Stalag’s camouflage, it surprises on a 1-4 on a 1d6

Kollim

Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 5
No. of Attacks: 3 grapple ? 1 bite / 1 Slam
Damage: 1d8 grapple 1d8 bite 1d8 Slam
Movement: 0'
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: Fighter: 5
Treasure Type: S, T
XP: 405

The Kollim is the mature form of a Stalag. As it grows, the Stalag’s head eventually reaches the ceiling, where it begins to slowly flatten and seem to merge with the stone. At this time, Kollims begin to spawn small Stalacs, which periodically break away from the Kollim yo find new areas to hunt. At this point as well, the Kollim is completely sessile, and will no longer be able to stir from its spot.

It still hunts like its smaller kin, keeping coins scattered nearby to attract prey, snaring it with at least 2 of its six tentacles and constricting the life out of its victims. Like the Stalag, it can ave up to three victims grappled at once, and will do 1d8 damage automatically. It also can attempt to bit once per round. In addition, however, the Kollim can bend its body and send its head smashing down in a slam attack that does 1d8 damage. The range of a Kollim’s tentacles is 20’.

Due to its camouflage, a Kollim surprises on a 1-3 on 1d6.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

see I see Stalag and all I can think of is Stammlager, or more formally Kriegsgefangenen Mannschaftsstammlager
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Maybe the names could revert back to the traditional ones? I can see where Central Europeans might be bothered by it.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Ophidian*
Armour Class: 14
Hit Dice: 3+1*
No. of Attacks: 1 Bite or 1 weapon
Damage: 1d4 + Poison or by weapon
Movement: 30'
No. Appearing: 1d8
Save As: Fighter: 3
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: D in Lair
XP: 175

The Southern jungles and swamps are home to the mysterious and alluring race of serpent people known as the Ophidians. These enigmatic beings dwell in the secluded and verdant jungles and swamps of the continent, where they expertly blend in with their surroundings. With scales that are typically green or brown, the Ophidians possess long, sinuous bodies and muscular tails that enable them to move with remarkable speed and stealth through the undergrowth. Armed with sharp fangs and venomous bites, they are formidable predators and skilled at defending themselves from threats. The Ophidians' intelligence is remarkable, and their proficiency in magic is widely known. They employ these mystical abilities to advance their own purposes, often shrouded in secrecy and mystery.
Ophidians are Medium-sized, and their poison causes 1d4 damage per round for 1d4 rounds unless a successful save vs. poison is made. Ophidians can cast spells as a 3rd level magic-user. Their preferred weapons are spears and short bows.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

I love this creature! That being said, I will never find the concept of a snake "alluring" *shudder*
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm open to revising the naming. Not sure that "piercer" can be copyright-protected according to my understanding of the process.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

It's not a registered trademark or copyrighted name (as you say it would be a hard job for them to get protection on it being a commonly used word)