Do any of the low level adventures play particularly well without thieves?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
WhetBrain

Do any of the low level adventures play particularly well without thieves?

Post by WhetBrain »

The party I’m running right now has no thieves. It’s hurt them, but I’ve also been a bit lenient at times with the group.

Any ideas on an adventure on this site that doesn’t have too much thief-related stuff going on?
Greg_A

Re: Do any of the low level adventures play particularly well without thieves?

Post by Greg_A »

Why does the party not have a thief? That's like running a party without a cleric. ;)
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I've quite often run with no Thief, or no Cleric, and even no Magic-Users, and once ONLY Thieves (though the issue there was more we were all Halflings) So not sure why it's so shocking?
No matter where you go...there you are
Greg_A

Post by Greg_A »

Boggo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:54 am I've quite often run with no Thief, or no Cleric, and even no Magic-Users, and once ONLY Thieves (though the issue there was more we were all Halflings) So not sure why it's so shocking?
Not shocking, just asking. I've done the all thief campaign too and that was probably my favorite campaign ever (Desert of Desolation series.) No clerics lol! :lol:

Back to the OP, give them some detect-items to make up for lack of a thief, then you can still play "regular" adventures. Just like Chris' white-box vid. :D
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

WhetBrain wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:59 pm The party I’m running right now has no thieves. It’s hurt them, but I’ve also been a bit lenient at times with the group.

Any ideas on an adventure on this site that doesn’t have too much thief-related stuff going on?
Thieves are mostly used for traps and locks, unless the adventure is one where only a thief succeeding is the only way to move forward or its ridiculously filled with traps then the party should be ok.
Remember that the party can use hirelings
Other than that you can change things a little so a thief is not required, make traps a little more obvious by description, let the party expend extra time searching for taps in order to get a bonus.

Doors is when things can get though, not having a thief means bashing locked doors, which means making noise.
Don't lock every door, use judgement based on location and those inhabiting there.
There could be some keys as part of loot or treasure, it will be a matter of finding the right ones.

Help the players a little, enough so they don't get stuck, but let them learn that not having a niche may be problematic on the future.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Expanding on Dimirag's point, the more busy a dungeon is, the more intelligent monsters are in there moving about the less likely locked doors and environment traps should be, a tribe of Goblins for example aren't going to lock every door behind them, the same way you wouldn't lock every interior door in your house. And can you imagine HOW annoying it would be if every time you went to the bathroom you had to avoid a 10' pit trap with rusty spikes at the bottom?
LleijS

Post by LleijS »

Boggo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:59 pm And can you imagine HOW annoying it would be if every time you went to the bathroom you had to avoid a 10' pit trap with rusty spikes at the bottom?
I see your point, however, I also don't have to worry about my home being ransacked with impunity by invaders on a regular basis. :D
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Though I've never played a dungeon that has regular crowds if adventurers continually breaking in either (except in T&T and that was a schtick piece)
Seven

Post by Seven »

Most locked doors have keys. Those that don't are never opened, so they can either be bashed with little consequences or just ignored.

Finding keys and figuring out what they open is a great mechanic to explore.

Thieves are not good enough at detecting/disarming trap to make a big difference.

Thieves are also good at picking your pockets, so it's a fair trade off.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Some spells can be used to replicate thief abilities. If the spellcasters are high enough in level, they may use Knock, Find Traps, Silence 15' Radius, and Invisibility if the party doesn't include any thieves.