Mysterious Island Contest -- Voting Thread

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.

Who Did It Best?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:23 am

Colairta A Feral Farm Crawl by Kyle Hettinger.
22%
Cranial Croaks by Wing_department
6%
Island Haunt of the Horned Kings by Doppelganger
No votes
Lightning-Lit Stormclouds by Alexander-Lars Dallmann
No votes
Sunk Cost Fantasy by St_Abby
6%
The Island of the Lost by MinkyBoodle
6%
The Isle of Bergecourt by coureur_d_bois
17%
The Isle of the Dead by UptonGames
11%
The Prison Of The Three Sisters by sean8223
33%

Total votes: 18
toddlyons

Re: Mysterious Island Contest -- Voting Thread

Post by toddlyons »

Congratulations, Sean! And thanks to everyone who entered the contest. I wish I had more than one vote, or that is was possible to do ranked choice vote.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Congrats to the winner and everyone who participated! I was very impressed by the adventures that were submitted. Good job everyone.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Congrats to sean8223 for winning!

Now, my work begins.

Here's what the contributor list looks like now:

sean8223, Kyle Hettinger, coureur_d_bois, UptonGames, Wing_department, MinkyBoodle, St_Abby, Doppelganger, and Alexander-Lars Dallmann

Please advise me if you'd like your name some other way. In particular, Wing, coureur, I already have your real names (I guess?) for art credits in other books. Just need to know how you all want your credits here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:10 pm Congrats to sean8223 for winning!

Now, my work begins.

sean8223, Kyle Hettinger, coureur_d_bois, UptonGames, Wing_department, MinkyBoodle, St_Abby, Doppelganger, and Alexander-Lars Dallmann

Please advise me if you'd like your name some other way. In particular, Wing, coureur, I already have your real names (I guess?) for art credits in other books. Just need to know how you all want your credits here.
Yes you can use my real name in the first release.
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

Yes, I would prefer it if you use my proper name.

If I could make a suggestion about one module? I really liked the concept and detailing in Bergecourt by Coureur, except for one thing. It was way too much to be crammed on such a small island. Just the hill giant alone would need to range the whole island and more to find enough to eat. I think if the scale of the island map was changed to something like 20 miles across a hex it would feel a lot more realistic - or am I being too nitpicking?
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

UptonGames wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:35 pm Yes, I would prefer it if you use my proper name.

If I could make a suggestion about one module? I really liked the concept and detailing in Bergecourt by Coureur, except for one thing. It was way too much to be crammed on such a small island. Just the hill giant alone would need to range the whole island and more to find enough to eat. I think if the scale of the island map was changed to something like 20 miles across a hex it would feel a lot more realistic - or am I being too nitpicking?
Thanks for your kind words! I actually thought about it when designing the adventure and, yes, by our 21st Century North-American standards, it appears that too much is packed into the island but I think this impression comes from the VERY high mobility we enjoy today.

I wanted to make sure that it worked so what I did is go on Google Maps and looked at how many towns or interesting locations were actually contained in a 3 miles radius in European countries, especially the older densely populated ones such as Italy, France, and the Netherlands. It is a stark contrast with what is found in rural parts of North America, which were largely developed after the arrival trains and cars. For me the 3 miles hex made sense, but I'm open to changing the hex size (if that's allowed) though 20 miles across is in my opinion way too big.
Last edited by coureur_d_bois on Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

toddlyons wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 pm Congratulations, Sean! And thanks to everyone who entered the contest. I wish I had more than one vote, or that is was possible to do ranked choice vote.

I kinda like the idea of ranked voting!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Congratulations everyone! I enjoyed reading them all!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:10 pm Congrats to sean8223 for winning!

Now, my work begins.

I prefer my real name, Clinton L. Robison, listed in the book. That way people know exactly who to direct all hate mail toward. :lol:
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Wing_department

Post by Wing_department »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:10 pmPlease advise me if you'd like your name some other way. In particular, Wing, coureur, I already have your real names (I guess?) for art credits in other books. Just need to know how you all want your credits here.
Yes, I would like to be credited with my real name too.
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.