Mysterious Island Contest -- Voting Thread

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.

Who Did It Best?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:23 am

Colairta A Feral Farm Crawl by Kyle Hettinger.
22%
Cranial Croaks by Wing_department
6%
Island Haunt of the Horned Kings by Doppelganger
No votes
Lightning-Lit Stormclouds by Alexander-Lars Dallmann
No votes
Sunk Cost Fantasy by St_Abby
6%
The Island of the Lost by MinkyBoodle
6%
The Isle of Bergecourt by coureur_d_bois
17%
The Isle of the Dead by UptonGames
11%
The Prison Of The Three Sisters by sean8223
33%

Total votes: 18
coureur_d_bois

Re: Mysterious Island Contest -- Voting Thread

Post by coureur_d_bois »

UptonGames wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 am I was rather hoping and expecting that the voting would be in the format of a First, Second and Third place, or maybe 3 equal choices. There are at least a couple of entries I'd really like to vote for, but it's an all-or-nothing situation.
I am still reading, but I'll be posting my top 3 of the adventures.
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

Some really cool adventures here!

My top three are:

The Isle of Bergecourt - a whole campaign world! The trading rules remind me of Sid Meyer’s Pirates!

Colairta: A Feral Farm Crawl - very detailed; fun animal transformations.

The Island Haunt of the Horned Kings - really original background and lore. Lots of possibilities for repeated “horny” puns.

Seriously- great job everyone!
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Here's my top 3.
  1. The Isle of Bergecourt
  2. Colairta: A Feral Farm Crawl
  3. The Prison of the Three Sisters
It might seem chauvinistic but I feel like my module was the most complete of all. I get that it's pretty generic in its monster selection, but my goal was to have something consistent, with a rich backstory and little work needed on the GM's part to create an emergent story. Ultimately it corresponds exactly to what I want it in a sandbox: tools for the DM, lots of interesting and detailed locations, and a rich world to be explored. Also, sorry for the typos and inconsistencies. I reread the final version two times before submitting it and the document is still full of them. :shock:

Colaitra: A Feral Farm Crawl as my second pick as the story is very interesting and the locations are quite fun. This is the one, among the other submissions, that in my opinion corresponds the most to what a sandbox is and should be. The story is very original and I like that the author provided a lot of lore. I also loved that all the hex locations are named and have interesting details and events attached to them. I especially liked Hex 23: Miss Thoroughgood and Hex 53: The Muggerridge. Interestingly, I found a lot of similarities with my submission such as the Witch in the Small Ruins, the wights in the exact same rooms of the Main ruins, and the embalming chamber in room 17 of the same dungeon. It's quite shocking actually. Very cool module overall and I'd love to run it some day.

I hesitated choosing The Prison of the Three Sisters is my second favourite of all the other submissions. I found that it was a bit lacking in terms of hex locations, but the dungeons are very cool and the monsters and dungeon locations are very original. I especially liked the Main Ruins and the story that revolved around the three sisters. The story presented is very interesting and I could very well see me running this adventure for my players. I also LOVED the porcellinas, what a cool new monster.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Jim1804 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:25 pmThe Isle of Bergecourt - a whole campaign world! The trading rules remind me of Sid Meyer’s Pirates!
Thank you!

I didn't remember where I had seen such rules for trading, but now that you mention Sid Meier's Pirates, I remember, especially the chart for trade goods value. :lol:
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:57 am
Jim1804 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:25 pmThe Isle of Bergecourt - a whole campaign world! The trading rules remind me of Sid Meyer’s Pirates!
Thank you!

I didn't remember where I had seen such rules for trading, but now that you mention Sid Meier's Pirates, I remember, especially the chart for trade goods value. :lol:
You could play as the Dutch and basically take up trading. It was fun, but not as fun as being a Spanish rogue who was slighted by the governor and turned pirate. The governors’ daughters always seemed more attractive and more charming when I was burning down the Spanish Main - but that was probably in my 10 year old imagination!
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

There are a number of entries with zero votes. This should not be.

Authors -- please vote for yourself. You worked hard, you deserve at least one vote.

It's okay. There is precedent. There are authors here who gave their own books 5-star Amazon ratings. No names, no judgments. :lol:

They did it. So can you.

Just do it. :D
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Here's my top 3.
The Prison of the Three Sisters
The Isle of the Dead
The Isle of Bergecourt
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

toddlyons wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:51 pm There are a number of entries with zero votes. This should not be.

Authors -- please vote for yourself. You worked hard, you deserve at least one vote.

It's okay. There is precedent. There are authors here who gave their own books 5-star Amazon ratings. No names, no judgments. :lol:

They did it. So can you.

Just do it. :D
OK, I did. Still feels like a pity vote. :lol:
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

MinkyBoodle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:54 pm OK, I did. Still feels like a pity vote. :lol:
Nah. :D When my books are published, I'm giving them 5 stars too. If I didn't think they were great, I would never have submitted them. What you wrote was your best effort. Take pride in that, and don't stop writing.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Just a few hours left as I post this. Another fine contest. Congratulations to the winner! Can't wait to see this in print (eventually).
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II