Unarmed Combat Variant

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
JugglinDan

Re: Unarmed Combat Variant

Post by JugglinDan »

I think I worked out another tactical advantage from throws over the core rules wrestling grab. It comes down to initiative. If I make a successful throw and the opponent lands prone, they can't try to stand until their next initiative. If this was near the end of the current round, say I lost initiative, then I have a chance to win initiative on the next round and get a normal melee attack in against the prone opponent with a -4 or -5 penalty to their AC (-5 if they have a shield). Even if I don't win initiative, perhaps some of my party do.

It's not in your version, but I like the idea of a penalty to AC for prone/supine opponents for ranged attacks. Lying down presents a smaller target. That is a little close to the Rules That Shall Not Be Named though.
I'm also on RPGG
MJLauck

Post by MJLauck »

Not sure that is true depending on if the prone target is “head first” toward the attacker or “perpendicular” to the incoming attack! But I am not working outside of “hand to hand” combat… I am not looking to rewrite everything!

But prone and supine may come into further rules with advanced grappling and definitely choking/incapacitating.
It is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things
—Miyamato Musashi
(1584 - 1645)
MJLauck

Post by MJLauck »

I have been insanely busy (even by my standards) lately and have had precious little free time, even on the road.
Things seem to be evening out now, though, so I am returning to this little project and hope to have a "corrected" V1.2 of these rules in the next week or so. Last call for comments, suggestions and the like!
It is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things
—Miyamato Musashi
(1584 - 1645)