Is this a bad house rule?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CrudRollingCrusader

Is this a bad house rule?

Post by CrudRollingCrusader »

Im starting my campaign next week and I’m thinking of implementing a house rule I thought of to buff fighters. My idea is to remove attack bonuses from the game except for Fighters. All other characters still have their standard str and dex bonuses but no attack bonus expect for fighters. I feel like this just makes leveling up as a fighter more exciting. Wizards and clerics get to look forward to new spells and thieves get better at their skills but what does a fighter have to look towards? Is this a bad idea or not? Thanks
Dimirag

Re: Is this a bad house rule?

Post by Dimirag »

Lamentations of the Flame Princes uses that rules, its not bad, its not good, its different.
It will impact on how useful characters are on combats, which may be a big part of your game.
It will cut the cleric's combat prowess.
It will put a lot more strain on the fighter.
There are lots of option to make them "better/more interesting/etc", removing the other classes' combat skill is not the the way in my opinion.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
CrudRollingCrusader

Post by CrudRollingCrusader »

Thanks for the reply.

“There are lots of option to make them "better/more interesting/etc", removing the other classes' combat skill is not the the way in my opinion.”

Any suggestions on a better way to make fighters better/mores interesting?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The "Combat Options" Supplement deals with some new perks for fighters.
The "Dimirag's Fighter Options" Supplement deals exclusively with perks for fighters.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree w Dimirag.
The other classes do not measure up in a fight after mid levels anyhow, though I can see why someone would think this way at the lowest levels.
In general, cutting down something does not make another thing better in my opinion, (equity line of thinking does not really work).
Find ways to enhance, even if just within the parameters of role play. Perhaps most warriors of the setting have access to guilds, training centers, esteem from common folk, etc, while others are second fiddle in the region.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you haven't run the game using the standard rules, you don't know what is or is not balanced; indeed, it takes some time to internalize the consequences of how the game is written. Things aren't always as obvious as they seem.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Honestly it's been my experience that fighters don't need any real buffing to be the most effective combat characters by a comfortable margin already, removing AB from the other classes will make them far less survivable in my opinion, though it will most definitely increase the combat abilities between them and fighters!
No matter where you go...there you are
Seven

Post by Seven »

At the lowest level, I just make sure the fighter has a decent armor.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Instead of removing something, try adding an untrained penalty for weapons with the provision that fighters and their subclasses are trained in all weapons. There is a section in the core rules on page 151 called Weapon and Armor Restrictions. You could tweak that by applying the Magic-user weapon limitation to all the classes but Fighter.

Snipped from the corebook "These characters are simply untrained in any weapon other than those normally allowed to them, and should suffer a -5 attack penalty when using any prohibited weapon."
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If the idea is to give fighters something "new" at every level, use weapon proficiencies
Fighters starts with 4 and gain 1 per level
Clerics and Thieves start with 3 and gain 1 per 2 levels.
Magic Users star with 2* and gain no new proficiencies.
*If you let the MUs use more than the 2 core weapons increase the other classes initial proficiencies.
Note that a fighter will have training up to 23 weapon if they live that much, so you may want to bring weapons from the Equipment Emporium.