#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Megathread

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
coureur_d_bois

#Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Megathread

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:28 pm So I'm seeing all this stuff on social media about the #Dungeon23. You can read all about it here:

https://dungeon23.carrd.co/

The idea is, as I understand it, to encourage/empower Game Masters to create their own dungeon. Sean McCoy has included prompts to help you along, and has a more detailed post about how it's to be done here:

https://seanmccoy.substack.com/p/dungeon23

Now that's cool, no complaints from me. Helping individuals design dungeons is great. But that's not what we're about here in the Basic Fantasy Project. We're about collaboration, about the good things that come from working together.

So, I have a proposal. #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition

Each month I'll post a dungeon map with the correct number of rooms for the month. But we don't have to do it day-by-day... instead, I want to encourage all fans of Basic Fantasy RPG to jump in and create stuff. Make up room descriptions to fit the various rooms in each month's map. Or, help someone else with a room or suite of rooms... add descriptive text, suggest corrections or help with game balance. This way, nobody needs to be afraid to post something that's incomplete, since we can rely on each other to fill in the blanks.

Now, if this sounds like chaos, yeah, it could be. Someone has to be in charge, to apply editorial control to make all these random rooms into a usable dungeon level key. And yeah, sometimes we may have to leave something out, which might be rather an unpleasant job.

I can't ask anyone else to do that. So I'm going to. Each month I'll compile the room descriptions for that month into a coherent key and post it on the forum. Bits that get dropped can be rolled into the next month if desired, perhaps adjusted somewhat as each month we'll be doing a higher (harder) dungeon level.

To be absolutely clear here: We'll be making this up as we go along. Everyone who participates has to understand that some cutting and bending will be needed to make everything fit. If there is anyone to blame for these kinds of changes, it's me. In other words, play nice.

Below is the map for January, the first level of our as-yet-unnamed megadungeon. I'll also get the ball rolling by keying the first room (in a post following this one) so you all can see my recommended format.

I realize I also just opened the doors for a dungeon design competition. Those of you working on Mysterious Island keys can safely ignore this thread for now; here, I'm looking for people who don't have the time or energy to do a full dungeon, but would like to design a room or three. And you all can join in the fun in February after the closing of the contest, as we start on the second level.

Guidelines:
  • To contribute, go to this month's thread and see in the first post what rooms are still available. Post a room description indicating clearly which one you are working on.
  • Do not boldface the text in room description. Instead use ***Boxed Text*** and ***End Boxed Text*** to indicate you want that text to be boxed. The only things in bold should be spell names or magic items names.
  • FYI once Solomoriah says he's sweeping up the rooms, don't change your room descriptions; instead, make a new post describing or providing changes. If he has already swept up your room, doing it over again is extra work, sometimes a lot of it, as he has to reformat all the stuff he already reformatted once. In fact, once it's the next month AND all the rooms have descriptions, please assume he's doing that.
  • Make sure your rooms/encounters pose a reasonable challenge for that level of the dungeon.
  • Any 10x10 staircase square descends 7.5 feet. Levels are normally separated by 30 feet, so that's 4 staircase squares.
Level Creation Threads:
Attachments
Dungeon23-CommunityEdition-r12.pdf
(9.42 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Dungeon23-CommunityEdition-r12.odt
(5.3 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by coureur_d_bois on Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 15 times in total.
coureur_d_bois

Re: #Dungeon23 #CommunityEdition - Megathread

Post by coureur_d_bois »

So I've been reading level 1 and it's crazy how powerful some of the encounters are. I'd like to kick start a discussion about balance specifically for level 1.

Here's what I found to be problematic:
  • Random Encounter: The root crawler, which is a 6 HD monster. A single one of them will wipe out a level 1 party. No questions.
  • I know they are somewhat benevolent, but should the players fight them, the root crawlers are just way too powerful.
  • Room 30: I know the encounter got nerfed, but boy is it still deadly. Two 8HD monsters a vampire of 6 HD on level 1 of a mega-dungeon is just way off in my opinion. We should either isolate the encounter so it can only be encountered at higher level (i.e. a magical key hidden in the lower levels), or completely change it.
Any thoughts or observations?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I honestly don't understand room 30. It's appropriate to around the 6th to 8th level of the dungeon. I didn't want to be a dictator and just say "no" at this stage, but qwertle does not seem interested in rethinking it; I was hoping someone else felt the same way.

I get where Lars is going with the root crawlers, and I'm not as concerned about them on the encounter tables at this point. Might need to make sure their motivations are clear to the GM everywhere they appear.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

One approach could be to have the door to area 30 to be magically sealed or locked and the key to it would be found somewhere down in level 6 or 7.
qwertle

Post by qwertle »

Yeah, first time here, and feeling out balance. I don't mind a lock or a prerequisite. Makes the dungeon feel more dynamic
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm.

Or.

I'm sorely tempted to move some version of the original room as qwertle designed it to the 8th level of the dungeon, in a room that is a duplicate of 1.30. Then, 1.30 would be the False Throne of the One True King; or, the Throne of the False King. The encounter at 1.30 would be a pale level 1 version of the tough level 8 version.

Why? Because it's funny... to me, anyway.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Two zombies painted and then covered in rock dust, to resemble statues; a wight as the "One True King." Leave the pit in place, and then have the actual level 8 encounter with the pit placed differently.
qwertle

Post by qwertle »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:26 pm Two zombies painted and then covered in rock dust, to resemble statues; a wight as the "One True King." Leave the pit in place, and then have the actual level 8 encounter with the pit placed differently.
Yeah that would be hilarious. Players excited they did it! But floor 5-6 is when they realise no, you really didn't and you will be punished for your hubris.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Let's gather some ideas, and suggestions on running this dungeon, some anecdotes, house rules, general advice, and so on, in this thread.

I have absolutely no worries about guiding a group of first level characters into that dungeon. Some of the encounters need not be actual fights. There are many meet-greet-and-flee-encounters. Some of the monsters wouldn't want to fight the characters. They are there to explore the dungeon, or hide, and protect their hide-outs.

How do the creatures patrol the dungeon? Some live on the lower levels: how do they get in, and out? How do they avoid, or get along with the others?

Does the vampire in 1.30 move about the dungeon, or is he magically confined to the room? Does he seduce the characters into helping his cause, or attack on sight? Is he insane, and cannot think clearly? Is he depressed, and staying in the room paralyzed by apathy? Maybe, he explored the second level, but cannot get past the guardian in 2.11.
What's his connection to the undead princess?

If the players demand to explore every room, and fight anything that moves; well, let them. It's easy to roll 3d6 in order for a new character, and the party may meet them around the next corner grappling with a root crawler.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd say right now that 1.30 is almost certainly going to change. It's just too deadly for a 1st level room; even the "nerfed" version is too tough. qwertle seems to be in agreement so I'll be posting a new version of 1.30 sometime soon, and when the 7th or 8th level appears I'll reinstate the original.

I've drawn the 7th level already; that's the main reason I'm not wanting to put it on level 7. But I might.