TL1 Beneath the Silver Spire

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
toddlyons

TL1 Beneath the Silver Spire

Post by toddlyons »

Current Development Version: r19.2 (attached below)
  • Owner: AlMan
  • Task: Quality Pass
  • ETA: -
Simple feedback should be provided as Forum comments only.

Description:
"Silver Spire Mountain (“the Spire”) is a treacherously dangerous natural monument, feared and respected by the regional inhabitants. Clad in perilous ice and snow but seething with volcanic activity within, its sheer cliffs and lava pits deterred humanoid presence and activity even before it was rumoured to be inhabited by infernals and undead. But for one man, beckoned by the plume of smoke pouring from the mountain’s peak, its danger made it impossible to resist as a personal fortress.

"In a past millennium, Lothain Ganthar used his divine might to explore the Spire’s labyrinth of caverns and tunnels. Knowing the paranoid intrusiveness of the residents of the nearby town of Mowbray, and seeking refuge from further interference by his former masters at the Temple of Daevas, Lothain eventually transported his library, laboratory, and loyal attendants to its fearsome depths, and never emerged.

"Over the centuries, his name and deeds faded from living memory. Until recently, that is, when the name Lothain Ganthar once again began to be spoken in awe.

"Four priceless artifacts have been stolen from their reclusive collectors: Crescent, a golden sickle; Bloodthistle, a crimson morningstar; Soulfang, a silver scimitar; and Tickler, an ebony scythe. The collectors have promised to reward courageous adventurers with anything they desire for their safe return, provided the wish is within their power to grant.

"In response, guards and mercenaries were dispatched to overturn the region. Hovels and towers alike were torn apart in a fruitless search. Thieves were bribed to turn on each other. Innocents were blamed and executed, but not a hint of the location the stolen items was found… until the collectors each received a curious note stamped with the personal seal of Lothain Ganthar."
Attachments
TL1-Beneath-the-Silver-Spire-r19.2.pdf
(11.97 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
TL1-Beneath-the-Silver-Spire-r19.2.odt
(30.73 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by toddlyons on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 31 times in total.
toddlyons

Re: Beneath the Silver Spire

Post by toddlyons »

It's probably not a great time to release a module, but it was done and it made a nice "500th post" for the site.

I'm not at all certain if the difficultly rating is accurate or how balanced it is. I haven't written a module in 40 years. I'm grateful for your assistance to make this better.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

For any players reading this who are curious about Ganthar's note, I'll attach it here.
Attachments
TL1 - Lothain's Poem.pdf
(217.25 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Nice.. we need more mid level adventures! I'm reading it right now..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
targenthan

Post by targenthan »

toddlyons wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:35 am "Silver Spire Mountain (“the Spire”) is a treacherously dangerous natural monument, feared and respected by the regional inhabitants. Clad in perilous ice and snow but seething with volcanic activity within, its sheer cliffs and lava pits deterred humanoid presence and activity even before it was rumoured to be inhabited by infernals and undead. But for one man, beckoned by the plume of smoke pouring from the mountain’s peak, its danger made it impossible to resist as a personal fortress.

"In a past millennium, Lothain Ganthar used his divine might to explore the Spire’s labyrinth of caverns and tunnels. Knowing the paranoid intrusiveness of the residents of the nearby town of Mowbray, and seeking refuge from further interference by his former masters at the Temple of Daevas, Lothain eventually transported his library, laboratory, and loyal attendants to its fearsome depths, and never emerged.

"Over the centuries, his name and deeds faded from living memory. Until recently, that is, when the name Lothain Ganthar once again began to be spoken in awe.

"Four priceless artifacts have been stolen from their reclusive collectors: Crescent, a golden sickle; Bloodthistle, a crimson morningstar; Soulfang, a silver scimitar; and Tickler, an ebony scythe. The collectors have promised to reward courageous adventurers with anything they desire for their safe return, provided the wish is within their power to grant.

"In response, guards and mercenaries were dispatched to overturn the region. Hovels and towers alike were torn apart in a fruitless search. Thieves were bribed to turn on each other. Innocents were blamed and executed, but not a hint of the location the stolen items was found… until the collectors each received a curious note stamped with the personal seal of Lothain Ganthar."
One very intriguing intro for someone like me who is interested in just playing these modules initially - to get a feel for pacing in a gaming session etc - and the 'ransom note' hand out upload. EPIC :)

Thanks for this module.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

dymondy2k wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:30 pm Nice.. we need more mid level adventures! I'm reading it right now..
Thanks, David. I'd appreciate Your feedback on what you'd recommend fixing,
Last edited by toddlyons on Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

targenthan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:55 pm One very intriguing intro for someone like me who is interested in just playing these modules initially - to get a feel for pacing in a gaming session etc - and the 'ransom note' hand out upload. EPIC :)

Thanks for this module.
You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know (here, and on FB).
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Release 2 is up, which fixes a few things that are impossible to see until you publicly release a document. :D

This module includes Public Domain artwork which I will freely delete if it is replaced or is otherwise made superfluous by original works from our community. I'll leave it to Solo to decide what to throw out and what to keep.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm going to wait for Chi or Al to take a look first, as I'm up to my proverbial butt in other projects just now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:43 am I'm going to wait for Chi or Al to take a look first.
Thanks. It's complete, other than playtesting and community assessment.