TL1 Beneath the Silver Spire

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: TL1 Beneath the Silver Spire

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's a tentative r3. I didn't complete all, and I'm sure I missed some anyways:
Deleted a lot of extra spaces.
4-figure+ numbers need a comma(s)
Updated header & footer text styling, but it's pulled right side to the left some.
Updated new monster table styling; also replaced double-daggers with "(m)"
Corrected stat-lines, but some the attacks and damage didn't line up/make sense.
HP checkboxes: did you use the website or manually place? For some entries the spacing isn't consistent.
Room headers correctly set to "MapKeyHeading" style
Attachments
TL1-Beneath-the-Silver-Spire-r3.odt
(12.49 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

chiisu81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:55 pm HP checkboxes: did you use the website or manually place? For some entries the spacing isn't consistent.
This time I just kept copying and pasting from the samples in the template. Even using the HPcheckboxes and HPcheckboxesEnd formatting, some of them just didn't display as expected.

I tried my hardest not to mess it up as badly as the first book, but in going through it it was clear that I don't have the editing skill that the Team possesses. Hopefully this is less work for you this time.

Thanks, Chi.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

What I've always done is use the Hit Point Checkbox Generator; I put in the number of enemies I need, and I always "average" more squares than I need (ie I pump up the HD value).
After copying+pasting into my document, I keep the larger number of squares needed, and can delete/remove those I don't need (ie I never add or copy/paste more squares).
Then I highlight the whole block, re-apply the HPCheck style, then place my cursor at the end and apply the HPChecksEnd style.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

OK so I've read through the adventure and it looks like a ton of fun! I'll probably run my Solo Party from 'The Pit' through it although I feel like they might still be a bit underpowered at an average level of 5. Here is my thoughts on the introduction though. You put alot of thought into the 4 magical weapons that are really just Macguffins to get the characters to the Silver Spire. You even state you don't really want the characters to use them so why create them in the first place? I would either make them a generic item of power that has no practical use or give them some options of other adventure hooks. Now if these weapons are going to come in to play in a later adventure, then by all means keep them but let the DM know there they will be important later.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

dymondy2k wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm You put alot of thought into the 4 magical weapons that are reallangy just Macguffins to get the characters to the Silver Spire. You even state you don't really want the characters to use them so why create them in the first place?
Good question, David. Now here's where I could really use some feedback from experiences running it live.

While I don't suggest that the PCs use them, I totally expect that they probably will anyway (and say so in the text, I thought). It's for the GM to decide how strongly to discourage their use. Through the GM's voice, the Elder NPC may also have some information to share on the danger involved.

The weapons are as potentially dangerous to the PCs as to the monsters. I don't know how using them will pan out--but I'm dying to find out. :D
  • Do the weapon egos cause the wielding PCs become their automatons?
  • In cases where the weapons are used, does the adventure get too easy?
  • Are the positive and negative effects of each weapon sufficiently balanced?
  • Is the hatred between some of the weapons enough to create fun and chaos?
I need some feedback from the field to fine-tune their effect on the game. From what you're saying, it sounds like I should remove any cautionary remarks about using the weapons, and leave it completely neutral so that every group decides for themselves. I might also strike the suggestion that Crescent be returned to Mowbray at the first chance. Things will certainly be more "interesting" if it goes into the Spire.
dymondy2k wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm I would either make them a generic item of power that has no practical use or give them some options of other adventure hooks. Now if these weapons are going to come in to play in a later adventure, then by all means keep them but let the DM know there they will be important later.
Everything I create is made with the intention that I (or someone else) will integrate it into their own adventure. In fact, I'm already borrowing Temple lore from Chrysogon's Coterie to give the antagonist some roots.

I do want them to stay. I envisioned the weapons as pseudo NPCs, which is why they have "personalities" and conflicting desires. They might conceivably go on future adventures (individually, or together). Maybe they develop some bond with the PCs and compel their owners to call the PCs back for a quest?

If you have some ideas for future adventure hooks, I'd love to hear them.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

chiisu81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:55 pm Here's a tentative r3.
Thanks again, Chi. I'm going to hold off on any text changes until you've had time to do a pass that you're satisfied with.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Todd..
Since I'll be running this in a Hexcrawl that is already magic-item heavy I'll probably just leave the 4 weapons out. I'll be running this as a solo party so I'm probably not going to give the best feedback on how the weapons affect the gameplay anyways.

I do think the spire is such an interesting place that almost any hook will work. Rumors of demons near the peak, talks of treasure and a legend of a cleric who went in and never came out. And if they want to leave the weapons in the adventure, just the rumor of the theft and the spire as a possible location would be enough.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

dymondy2k wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:31 am I do think the spire is such an interesting place that almost any hook will work.
That's a relief, actually. I was worried that the interior wouldn't live up to expectations.

I'd still love to hear about:
  • What your players enjoyed and disliked
  • Which encounters were too powerful or too weak
  • Whether the estimated difficulty rating is fair
Thanks, David. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

toddlyons wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:38 pm
chiisu81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:55 pm Here's a tentative r3.
Thanks again, Chi. I'm going to hold off on any text changes until you've had time to do a pass that you're satisfied with.
OK. I'll have another go at this one today.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Revision 4 is posted.