What Non-Game Resources Do You Use?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
MJLauck

What Non-Game Resources Do You Use?

Post by MJLauck »

I am interested in what material y’all are using in your games which are not technically game materials. I don’t just mean Basic Fantasy material, I mean stuff not meant to be game material at all. For example, do you set a mood by playing Clannad’s Legend or Wagnerian opera in the background? Do you consult a website like Kult of Athena or a museum collection for period specific weapon and armor pictures? Do you use a book of mythology to create your game’s pantheon? Does anyone use a specific historical period as a guiding influence for your world? Do you snack on food/drink appropriate to your game world? Just wondering… I was recently thinking of a group I knew casually who banned modern tech (other than books, paper and pencils) during sessions who literally played by candle and oil lamp when it got dark!
It is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things
—Miyamato Musashi
(1584 - 1645)
leon

Re: What Non-Game Resources Do You Use?

Post by leon »

I use the idea of having a session format with precise steps, similar to many things we do: singing the national anthem before a baseball game, roll-call at the start of a class, theme song at the beginning of a sitcom. Or even, "Space, the final frontier..." Two minutes and everyone instantly focuses. Step 4 is an invocation.
Hokus pokus, all will focus. The game begins within this locus.
Let be no outside insult heard. Amuse us with your avatar’s word.
Without delay we make our call, clearly stated to one and all.
“Know yourself” is our creed. “Accept your fate,” fail or succeed.
Remind us once. Remind us twice. Ignore us should that not suffice.
Those not true will not be held. By sworn oath shall they be expelled.
Now we begin the one, true game. We call on spirits name by name.
We call on Gygax! We call on Arneson! We head for dungeons to slay their dragons!
Huzzah!
I play the audio version, and everyone gets quiet. They might murmur the last few lines, and then everyone shouts "huzzah".

I've heard longtime players tell new players, "welcome to the cult". :)

There's more to the entire format that also includes how we end the session. Having a format has been a great improvement over just jumping into it ad hoc.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

If I set the game in the real world (or a fantasy version of it), I use historical maps and books on the culture the game is set in. Even martial arts books can be used for flavor. Myth, legends, and folk tales are also good resources. Even if I make up a game world I sometimes use names of real places, usually obscure areas.

While I have a bunch of MERP materials, I'm experimenting with running a Middle-earth game for BFRPG using only Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth and Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. I also have a few books on the languages, but I'll save those for the hardcore fans.
MJLauck

Post by MJLauck »

Leon, I like the idea of that… I asked about music because I frequently have used it to set tones. When I teach martial arts I always begin classes with “The General’s Mandate” a piece of military themed Chinese music which is also the theme to about a hundred Wong Fei Hung films (literally). When I used to perform as a magician every practice session started with a specific piece of music to help me snap into magic mode.

tkcdo2: I was wondering about languages… How extensively would you use them? After I posted I remembered we kept a Klingon dictionary under the counter of the comic book store to settle arguments and for the FASA Star Trek group (and the odd angry Star Fleet Battles curse).
It is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things
—Miyamato Musashi
(1584 - 1645)
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I would use languages for flavor. Nobody in my group is a linguist, and I'm probably the only one who tried writing in Tengwar. I may write a note in Sindarin or Quenya to enhance the game. I will tell anyone whose character can read those languages what the writing says.

I can use martial arts books to show photos of certain maneuvers the combatants use, if they're skilled in a certain style. I'd use them sparingly, as frequent use would only slow down the game.

I find playing music tricky when running a game. I tried using it for effect, but finding a specific piece for a scene was too time consuming. Better just to let a CD run.