BFRPG 1st Edition

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JugglinDan

Re: BFRPG 1st Edition

Post by JugglinDan »

Actually, I have found one thing that might have contributed to my erroneous conclusion. The "buy the rules" page says that all print products are available in perfect bound (paperback) from Amazon. Only the entry for Lulu mentions hardcover editions.

Doesn't change the fact that I had been staring at the hardcover link on the Amazon product page for months without seeing it!
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, that was easily fixed.

AND SO, here it is:

Announcing!

Core Rules 1E Collector's Edition -- March 27, 2023
We've had a Collector's Edition of the Core Rules much as they were first released in hardback on Lulu.com for a while now, but in response to recent demand both paperback and hardback Core Rules 1E (Release 62) books are now available on Amazon.com as well. Please visit the Buy the Rules page for links to those as well as all our currently-available print books.

https://basicfantasy.org/buytherules.html
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
peelseel2

Post by peelseel2 »

...and ordered! Thanks! I will now probably find my original copy of 1st edition. Oh darn! Another still usable copy!
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Grettings.
Sorry for the question but I'm new to Basic Fantasy that I have discovered on Amazon and was curious about the differences between the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 1E: Collector's Edition and the regular edition ?
"Use the Force Bilbo"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Quoted from my post on page 42 of the Welcome thread:

1st edition had black-and-white cover art; it's still available as a collector's edition on Lulu.com. 2nd and 3rd edition both have Erik Wilson's color cover art; the 3rd edition has a corner stripe identifying it.

All editions are compatible. Changes between 1st and 2nd are pretty minor (no changes to classes or races, basically just a few edits, though the wrestling rules were rewritten). Between 2nd and 3rd a few things were added: magic-user/thief combos (originally in the Gnome supplement), a few more monsters, a couple of new magic items. Again, there were some text edits, but nothing significant.

I'm still using the 2nd edition in my regular game, mainly because my players all have copies. There are no significant rules differences between them.

In short words: The differences are very minor and do not really matter.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks for the answers :)
a few more monsters
Say no more! We all need more monsters to fight :mrgreen:
"Use the Force Bilbo"
dlsellers

Post by dlsellers »

Can anyone who has purchased this tell me if the art for the monsters section is pretty much the same between 1e and 3e/4e? As someone whose kids are curious and love to look through my gamebooks, I like to keep my physical books free of anything inappropriate for them.

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

So I have to ask... what?

There is no art in 1E that isn't in 3E. A few pieces got dropped and replaced in 4E that were in 1E.

But the 1E print is a collectable version; I really don't expect people to buy it to play the game. So I'm unsure why you'd be buying the 1E print for your kids.

Email me at solomoriah@basicfantasy.org and I'll send you a PDF for 1E to review.