Editing in Libre Office

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
peelseel2

Editing in Libre Office

Post by peelseel2 »

Whenever I open one of the ODT files, it wonks up. I am using Libre Office 7.4.6.2. It starts breaking across pictures, increasing page count, and totally messing up the flow. This has always happened. I had given up on editing these documents or making my own. But others seem to have great success. I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice.

This is a sample screenshot of where r.125 of the Basic Rules starts messing up. I can take 15 minutes to half an hour to 'fix' it, but it happens every time I open one of these documents. Even a 'fixed' one.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 082947.png
Screenshot 2023-03-30 082947.png (307.22 KiB) Viewed 693 times
lars_alexander

Re: Editing in Libre Office

Post by lars_alexander »

I have the same issue when opening r125 under LibreOffice 6.4. This phenomenon bugged me for a long time while working on the German translation for BF3. The only way to manage the issue, and to prevent the reformatting on loading the file, was to lock individual sections of the document against modifications. Before that, I tried to identify the objects that caused the reformatting, usually images, and tables, which were anchored to characters, or paragraphs. So, while I was at it, I modified the anchors (set to page), and removed a few of the really nasty pictures that messed up the document all of the time: copying themselves, and placing themselves in different places all across the document. ;) I put them back in them in later stages of editing.

With all those new illustrations, there will be some editing work to do when turning to the German version of BF4. :D
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Formatting will often go very wonky if you do not have the (absolutely) identical fonts loaded.

Different computers, resolutions, and even very obscure settings will cause these files to render differently. At one point, I had two identical laptops, bought at same time with identical software and settings (so far as I could figure out).... and the files would still render out differently.

This is why Solo does the final layout work by himself prior to output as pdf. These things just cannot be helped.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Also, this is not Workshop discussion. Moving to General.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Core Rules will always break on any system that isn't Solo's, period.
Start with a stand-alone adventure or supplement, and/or the templates.
peelseel2

Post by peelseel2 »

:lol: So it is just not me!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Happens to us all ;) Even with correct fonts, etc.
I can work on layout, etc. up to a point. Anything complicated (mostly Core Rules) Solo takes on.
I can usually do Field Guides and Adventure Anthologies ok, but if the page-count and number of illustrations gets too high, my LO will hang and freeze or crash. More recent 7.4.x versions seem to be a little better (an aside, 7.5 is still a mess when I tried it, I'm avoiding it as long as possible).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:02 pm Core Rules will always break on any system that isn't Solo's, period.
Solo's a tech wizard, for the rest of us, mere mundanes, patience is all we have.

My recommendation? Divide the file into smaller ones, one per chapter, it won't prevent any future flow issues, but once you have a chapter finished you can rest that it won't go nuts on you again.

Try different settings for the images, using them as characters, or linked to the page, some may work better than others.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:08 pm Happens to us all ;) Even with correct fonts, etc.
I can work on layout, etc. up to a point. Anything complicated (mostly Core Rules) Solo takes on.
I can usually do Field Guides and Adventure Anthologies ok, but if the page-count and number of illustrations gets too high, my LO will hang and freeze or crash. More recent 7.4.x versions seem to be a little better (an aside, 7.5 is still a mess when I tried it, I'm avoiding it as long as possible).
Actually R125 is working fine for me, opens up ok and can make changes without the entire thing exploding, certainly wasn't the case for r107!
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

taken-meme.jpg
taken-meme.jpg (778.34 KiB) Viewed 613 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org