Tiny Solo Adventures

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JugglinDan

Tiny Solo Adventures

Post by JugglinDan »

As a solo RPG fan, I was overjoyed to discover JohnDice's Tiny Solo adventures. I went diving through the workshop forum looking for all of them and found 5: I have created a pair of level 1 characters using the Rangers & Paladins supplement and plan to run all five modules in the listed order with those two characters, probably using hand-wavy milestone levelling. Happy to post session reports here if anyone cares. However, the main reason for this post is to ask the following questions:
  • Are there any more of these modules that I missed?
  • What is the chance of having them added to the Showcase so that others don't need to recreate my forum searching efforts to find them all?
  • Is there any interest in more solo adventure modules? In the 80s, TSR experimented with a few approaches to this, including magic invisible ink modules. I think the best system was that used in The Challenger series, where the level map was given with keys and boxed text only. The solo player reads the box text, decides what they are going to do, and only then turns to the GM text in the main adventure for guidance on what happens. I think some of the smaller adventures in the anthology series might adapt well to this approach.
Given this post, I should point out that I've never been that interested in running pre-written modules solo. I greatly prefer a sandbox approach where I generate the world on the fly. But I know that not everyone likes to do that.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Solo Adventures

Post by Solomoriah »

No need to wave your hands, there is a supplement for milestone advancement.

viewtopic.php?t=4279
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:26 am No need to wave your hands, there is a supplement for milestone advancement.

viewtopic.php?t=4279
Haha, yes! I'm actually already using that supplement for the weekly F2F game that I run and it's working brilliantly. The hand-wavy part here would be shifting left and right on the XP per session columns to match where I want the characters to be for each module.
I'm also on RPGG
Mars

Post by Mars »

Just wanted to thank you, JugglinDan, for this post. I hadn't seen the original posts johndice put up, and I haven't had much time to dig into older posts on the forums. These are all very cool, and I'm glad you put them on my radar.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Mars wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:04 am Just wanted to thank you, JugglinDan, for this post. I hadn't seen the original posts johndice put up, and I haven't had much time to dig into older posts on the forums. These are all very cool, and I'm glad you put them on my radar.
No problem! Glad to help.
I'm also on RPGG
chickeneater456

Post by chickeneater456 »

Hope I'm posting to this correctly. Just saw this thread about solo play. I'm very interested in the concept of solo play. Can you tell me more about how you do this, how your series of modules are coming together, and what additional material or supplements do you use for solo play?

Many thanks!
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

chickeneater456 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:40 pm Hope I'm posting to this correctly. Just saw this thread about solo play. I'm very interested in the concept of solo play. Can you tell me more about how you do this, how your series of modules are coming together, and what additional material or supplements do you use for solo play?

Many thanks!
You are posting just fine, however the Tiny Solo series are not my creation. I just pulled together links to the different solo modules that otherwise might have been hard for people to find and put into order. They were created by JohnDice, but unfortunately that user has not been around for a while.

The Tiny Solo modules don't need any additional supplements, they have a small solo GM emulator and oracle system built in. The only other thing you need is the BRRPG core rules. There's nothing stopping you using other supplements like races or classes, but they are not required.

The other part of your question about what additional material I use for solo play has a much longer answer. I've been playing solo RPGs for probably three years now, with hundreds of hours over that time across many different systems. The main system I use in addition to game rules is the Mythic GM Emulator (or my hack of that system which has similar odds but is easier to use). I also use The Location Crafter and The Adventure Crafter systems by Tana Pigeon, the author of the Mythic system.

I'm happy to elaborate further if that would be helpful.
I'm also on RPGG
chickeneater456

Post by chickeneater456 »

Thanks, JugglinDan. Your comments here and elsewhere were helpful. I'm really new to some of these concepts (like GME, UNE, etc.). It sounds like you'd be a great reference to help me along, given your 3 years of solo experience.

Yes, please. If you would be willing to elaborate on any all points further, that would be helpful. I really am a neophyte when it comes to solo play, and I'm sure helpful direction will come in useful. I've really felt overwhelmed about this subject as of late, given the plethora of recommendations on the web. A small fortune could be spent buying products to support solo play; however, I'm looking for a wallet-friendly approach that will afford me years of playability based on BFRPG and/or Iron Falcon as my go-to set of core rules.

Please and thank you very much.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

I'm glad to help. Feel free to send me PMs if you have questions that don't fit on the forum (though you'll be missing out on help from others then).

As for free? Absolutely, completely possible without missing out on anything. While I use Mythic which is a paid product, it's not essential and there are plenty of alternate systems available for free.
I'm also on RPGG
AugustDogdays

Post by AugustDogdays »

Hello. First post here and also solo-centric since the Fantasy Trip in 1982... Then nada until I began playing 5e on Fantasy Grounds a year ago (uh I was resting from that last delve in '82). As soon as I started playing a year ago I began looking/buying/playing solo games. If possible I've scrapped using whatever recommended game system and switched it to Basic Fantasy... just prefer it.

Recently, I've been playing A Torch in the Dark and have not converted it to BF (different system... Blades in the Dark?) but love the use of a regular deck of cards to move the delve along. Does anyone know of a solo game using a card deck for this purpose? I'd prefer to be able to use BF but it is not a deal breaker. Thanks for any help.
Mistakes were made.