Making Change?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
LordBP

Re: Making Change?

Post by LordBP »

Believe in Medieval England, the rate for money changing was fixed by the crown. Everything was done by weight as someone pointed out, so scales were used for everything. Also, if I remember correctly, the crown had inspectors that would inspect the scales to make sure there wasn't any corruption going on as that wouldn't be good for the economy.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

LordBP wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:37 am Believe in Medieval England, the rate for money changing was fixed by the crown. Everything was done by weight as someone pointed out, so scales were used for everything. Also, if I remember correctly, the crown had inspectors that would inspect the scales to make sure there wasn't any corruption going on as that wouldn't be good for the economy.
not the scales but the weights and measures (first actual Government business oversight) the Weights part was checking the weights used in the scales, and stamping the lead of said weights with a seal to show that it was accurate
No matter where you go...there you are
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Some merchantsand moneychangers figured out they could subtly shift their scales to hang crooked, and so allow them to cheat their customers. I believe (read it years ago) that merchants who used these crooked scales gave rise to the term "crooked merchants" and later, "crooks".

I think. It was years ago, so I have no source to cite.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

ThorinSchmidt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:01 pm If you were going on a long journey, you could deposit your money with a moneychanger, and they would give you a letter stating hw much you deposited, and the name of a moneychanger he knew in the locale you were going to. Once you arrived, *that* moneychanger would give you the money stated in the letter (minus a fee).
I love this. There's an abundance of adventure potential right here. I'm basically rubbing my hands together in glee reading this.