A setting for BFRPG

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Slaeghunder

Re: A setting for BFRPG

Post by Slaeghunder »

I am shooting for norse-ish, if that makes any sense. I want things to be familiar, but not exactly the same.

I may well get carried away with the ON use though, by the sheer love of it.

I could also provide a couple pages of ON or ON based words with phonetics.

I don't worry too much about that. All the fantasy books I ever read, I thought I knew how to pronounce everything until I listened to the audio book and found out I was wrong.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Since ON has been dead language for a few years :D no one know exactly how it's pronounced anyway. I've found one expert with a video using something called "Reconstructed Old Norse" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zjXZwD42Q). But I assume only the most dedicated linguists would care that much. Most settings tend to mix up things from multiple cultures as well which make the language source even less important.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just a note to OP, your map image link has expired. Please actually upload the map to this forum, rather than linking it, since your image host seems to have a time limit and the forum is meant to last longer than that. Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder »

I would be happy to do so!

At the risk of seeming like a moron, How do I go about doing that?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Nobody's born knowing so don't worry about asking
Go to your first post
On the upper right there are some icons, click the pencil one, that will let you edit your post
Below the text box are the save, preview and submit buttons, bellow that you will find:
Options
Attachments, click here
Click in add files, load the file
Submit the post
Enjoy
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder »

Thank you.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

we really do need a forum award for Dimirag for being the most helpful person here!
No matter where you go...there you are
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Boggo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:23 pm we really do need a forum award for Dimirag for being the most helpful person here!
seconded :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder »

Hey all.

I got some direction on this. I've downloaded the supplement template and the style guide and will be coming back in a few weeks (hopefully sooner, but I do have a day job) with a more or less complete document, sans some items I will be seeking assistance with - game mechanics stuff, artwork and the like.

One thing I did want to ask before I put my nose to the grindstone - My plan is to describe monsters that are unique to the setting, monsters that exist in BFRPG but are somewhat different in the setting, and also provide a list of BFRPG monsters that can be used "as is" in the setting (this is based on the the specific environments and ecosystems of the setting). For that last thing, I was thinking about something like the entries in the Basic Fantasy Monster Index and a set of random encounter tables containing all of the monsters from those three groups.

Is that acceptable?
Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder »

So, having spoken with Mr. Gonnerman I understand that BFRPG doesn't publish setting books or gazetteers here. That said, he said I could post about it here and when I am done I could put it on the showcase.

I am working on this setting book for myself, and I want people to be able to have it if they are interested. It is not yet complete - I'm neck deep in this, using the BFRPG supplement template (If that is not acceptable I can easily change that).

I have the skeleton built and some of the meat on the bones, but I have more meat to add to it. Where I really have a lot of work to do is the game mechanics part, tables and such. I don't have a group to play with and haven't for many years- I've just got all the stuff from the downloads page and a pretty healthy stack of hard copies, because I'm old and I like to hold print copies in my hands better than reading off a screen.

Also I took what little bit of game mechanic stuff I do have in there from things that have already been done by people here, cut and past and tweak. I'm really not sure what's right, wrong, or indifferent about doing that - I of course don't want to do anything illegal but I also don't want to do anything to offend anyone, so I hope if I have done something I shouldn't have I can be informed and correct it without upsetting somebody. From the minute I discovered BFRPG I loved what you guys do here, and what you have built. I love the free to print, at cost printing, just providing good stuff for people to have fun with - that is awesome, and I want some of that.

Just to put it out there, I don't have any problems with helping anyone else here who's working on something and needs help. I'm not a great artist but I'm a decent writer. I just couldn't figure out where to jump in on all the stuff going on caused by the OGL thing. Like I said I'm not up on the actual game mechanics like I figure somebody probably should be to contribute to all the stuff that was on the table for the great 4th edition overhaul.

What I'd like is just some feedback on what I've got, warnings about anything I've done wrong (like using somebody else's stuff - I tried to always reference where I got things from) suggestions about how to improve what I have done right (if anything lol) and just - well, to know anyone, anywhere, would enjoy this thing I'm working on because I feel like its whirring away in my brain and will bore a hole in my head if I don't let it out.

I have attached the document, which offers a more cohesive picture than the stuff I posted earlier in this thread.

Norskheim and the Northern Wilds. I hope it seems like a fun place to adventure.
Attachments
BFRPG_TEMPLATE_Norskheim.odt
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 63 times